All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home made mineral mix

I have often wondered if spreading (very minimally) over a food plot would add these minerals back into the soil?

Sure, but you are better off doing it from a crop perspective. Salt, we don't need to add to food plots. That is largely the attractant otherwise deer would ignore the minerals. It is the salt (or sugar in some recipes) they are looking for. Di-cal is short for Di-calcium phosphate. You would be adding calcium and phosphorus. If you need calcium, you can get that by choosing the right kind of lime when you apply lime. MAP and DAP are common sources for P in fertilizer. If your soils are low in a specific mineral for a specific crop, you can see that in your soil test. For example if you are low in Sulfur, and you are planting soybeans which can be sensitive to sulfur or if you are low on Boron, there are appropriate additives you can have added to your MAP or DAP and potash when you apply fertilizer. Your local coop will have most of these available. Crop Production Services seem to have a lot of this sort of thing.

Once again, I'd suggest we change our perspective from "adding back into the soil" which is what farmers do. They take from the soil when they harvest and add back in when they fertilize. We may need this approach at first if we are starting on ground that has been depleted or is marginal, however our goal should be a more sustainable approach. Since we don't harvest, we are not depleting the soil if we take care in the techniques we use and don't damage the soils. Minimizing tillage, selecting complementary crop mixes, and using approaches that improve nutrient cycling are ways to move us to a long term sustainable approach to deer management.

Thanks,

jack

Real quick: I saw this on an email blast from Kip Adams:

"a great homemade mixture is 50lbs dicalcium phosphate, 40lbs salt, and 10lbs trace minerals. I personally use this mixture along with a Trophy Rock at all of my mineral sights."

Seems like he doesn't use the 2:1 ratio on the Trace Mineral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ratio doesn't sound right to me. Without the salt or mineral there, the deer won't touch the di-cal(atleast that has been my experience). Yes, bears will respond to anything sweet in the mix and deer and bears do not play well together. I go with the OP'S original mix---1 part di-cal,1 part salt, and two parts trace mineral. Fleet farm has all 3 where I live and it's way cheaper than a $20 dollar trophy rock.