HME Solar 12V Battery

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
I’ve been exploring options to pair with my Reconyx cellular cameras and decided to try a couple of them with these HME Solar Boxes. Anyone have much experience with them? They seem to be well constructed and the price is right versus a solar setup from Reconyx. The panel is obviously small but I would think even without charging much the external pack will provide a long battery life before needing a manual recharge. I’ve never used external power before so this is all new for me. I usually get a year on my Reconyx cameras with lithium batteries. On my Reconyx cameras you’ve got to choose between lithium and alkaline. Curious if I’ll need to just use alkaline batteries in the camera now, as I’m assuming these HME batteries are alkaline?
Also wondering if there would be any issue with me spray painting the back of the solar panel? not sure I’m it love with a white back on them.

Attachments

• 030B418C-2EE0-4BBB-9E95-24F5B3E615D2.jpeg
    030B418C-2EE0-4BBB-9E95-24F5B3E615D2.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 3C3B61FE-707F-4E21-A975-3B4B34B79776.jpeg
    3C3B61FE-707F-4E21-A975-3B4B34B79776.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 45B60479-6C75-4FF4-A290-A7A75EDCBDA1.jpeg
    45B60479-6C75-4FF4-A290-A7A75EDCBDA1.jpeg
    470.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 02B75602-E48A-44D9-975E-209D6C9AE7F4.jpeg
    02B75602-E48A-44D9-975E-209D6C9AE7F4.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 10
I don't have any experience with this unit, but I have a lot of experience with solar charging. There are a couple things to look for. Typically panels are speced in wattage. There are different kinds of cells that have different levels of efficiency. Less efficient cells simply means you will need a larger panel to get the same wattage. Next, is the type of charger. You will want a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) or MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) type controller. It needs to be sized to handle the amperage produced by your panel. Make sure the charger you are using is rated for the type of battery you are charging.

The amount of charging you will get is related to the the wattage of the panel and the number of hours of day you get sun, and the intensity of the sun. The wattage ratting is maximum sun intensity. So, if your planned deployment gets lots of direct sun, you might get the same amount of charging with a lower wattage setup that you get with a larger wattage setup with fewer hours of direct sun.

You can look at an external battery as a buffer. It needs to be large enough to support the system during times when you are not getting direct sun. The solar charging system needs to be designed to both operate the system and recharge the battery during the periods of full sun. Battery type matters. The SLA batteries I use will sulfate if left with less than about 70% charge for a long time period. LI batteries don't have this effect.

My cameras probably use more power than yours given the wireless transmission, but for my routing cameras, I shoot for around 50 watt panels. With my setup, this keeps my SLA batteries above 70% and they can go a year or two before needing maintenance.

Thanks,

Jack

I don't have any experience with this unit, but I have a lot of experience with solar charging. There are a couple things to look for. Typically panels are speced in wattage. There are different kinds of cells that have different levels of efficiency. Less efficient cells simply means you will need a larger panel to get the same wattage. Next, is the type of charger. You will want a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) or MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) type controller. It needs to be sized to handle the amperage produced by your panel. Make sure the charger you are using is rated for the type of battery you are charging.

The amount of charging you will get is related to the the wattage of the panel and the number of hours of day you get sun, and the intensity of the sun. The wattage ratting is maximum sun intensity. So, if your planned deployment gets lots of direct sun, you might get the same amount of charging with a lower wattage setup that you get with a larger wattage setup with fewer hours of direct sun.

You can look at an external battery as a buffer. It needs to be large enough to support the system during times when you are not getting direct sun. The solar charging system needs to be designed to both operate the system and recharge the battery during the periods of full sun. Battery type matters. The SLA batteries I use will sulfate if left with less than about 70% charge for a long time period. LI batteries don't have this effect.

My cameras probably use more power than yours given the wireless transmission, but for my routing cameras, I shoot for around 50 watt panels. With my setup, this keeps my SLA batteries above 70% and they can go a year or two before needing maintenance.

Thanks,

Jack
I got what I got on this one; it comes built from the factory. As you can see from the pictures it’s a self contained unit. I’m sure it’s no where as good as one that would be individually sourced and built but I unfortunately don’t have time to do that right now. Hoping these are decent enough to get me a couple years till I have time to fool with building a better system.

Yes. I wasn't suggesting you start from scratch. I was just trying to provide a reference point so you could set your expectations. I presume there is documentation with the unit that describes the components they use. Perhaps someone has actually used that same unit and can provide more insight for you.

Thanks,

Jack

Yes. I wasn't suggesting you start from scratch. I was just trying to provide a reference point so you could set your expectations. I presume there is documentation with the unit that describes the components they use. Perhaps someone has actually used that same unit and can provide more insight for you.

Thanks,

Jack
I gotcha. I do appreciate the insight. I actually have a solar project on my to-do list for this year and it’s installing solar on all my elevated blinds. I think I’ve sourced all the current components, now I’ve just got to find time this summer to get it all installed.

I have one of those powering my cellular stealthcam. I made it through the year without charging, no batteries in cam. It did however die when the weather turned cold in the end of december. I think they are a good option on the power hungry cams

I have one of those powering my cellular stealthcam. I made it through the year without charging, no batteries in cam. It did however die when the weather turned cold in the end of december. I think they are a good option on the power hungry cams
I am planning to put several out this spring and leave them till in August when I’ll bring them back in, charge them and then put them back out. I would think that should get me through the winter. Oddly enough I’ve had two Spartan cellular GoCams out since the end of October with regular Sams Club alkaline batteries in them and they’re still sending pictures daily with just under 50% battery life left. I’ve been really impressed with the battery life on those cameras...way better battery life than the Spypoints I tried.

I had read that the stealthcams were power hogs so i figured i would get one of them. Those solar packs are pretty nice units but it does get to be a lot of crap to hang in a tree.

I decided to install a solar pool heater in my backyard.
That’s clearly the way to go in many situations.