Hitting the brassicas early.

No greens left but thier hitting the bulbs.

image.jpeg

Winter came to early for many farmers in my area. There is a good amount of corn and bean fields that didn't get dug up. This is a good thing from a deer standpoint but from a brassica plot standpoint a bad thing. My plots have barely been touched other that the little browsing on the radish tops. I didn't even bother with a camera. There is about 4" of snow on the ground and the only tracks in the plot are those that are coming off the south facing hillside to walk through my brassicas before walking up the hill to the neighbors corn and beans.

You mean they didn't get plowed or harvested?

Winter came to early for many farmers in my area. There is a good amount of corn and bean fields that didn't get dug up. This is a good thing from a deer standpoint but from a brassica plot standpoint a bad thing. My plots have barely been touched other that the little browsing on the radish tops. I didn't even bother with a camera. There is about 4" of snow on the ground and the only tracks in the plot are those that are coming off the south facing hillside to walk through my brassicas before walking up the hill to the neighbors corn and beans.
Same here. Probably 600 acres of standing corn around me. Lots of beans also. It did nothing but rain at harvest time so the fields sit waiting for things to freeze up.

This pic was taken a couple weeks ago, tops are hit but some still there. Really wet fall here so there was 57 acres of soybeans still up until 2 days ago when they could finally get in and take them off.
b7e54399ba7b67e00e6e4e606df8b66f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The ground here has been frozen for over a month

The ground here has been frozen for over a month

I can relate.

A friend from Florida was showing off golf courses and alligators. I sent him this:

snow.jpg

-John

They seem to be really hitting the brassicas hard here quite a bit earlier than normal. They always brows on the tops but not the bulbs till late in the season.

2SvSL1Q.jpg
Same here in Dunn county. Ate most of the greens by 1st week of November and are ignoring the bulbs now. Corn seems to be the better draw for now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Watch for the turnips & radishes to get hit once the corn / beans get harvested.

EDIT & UPDATE - The deer have eaten our brassica plot pretty much down to the ground. Even the winter rye and winter wheat are sawed off. The amount of tracks is unreal - droppings all around too. The brassica mix we use is purple top turnips (PTT), groundhog forage radish (GFR), dwarf Essex rape (DER), and Pasja forage brassica. Our south-facing plots that get the most sun are getting hit too. Those plots are alfalfa, and several varieties of white & red clover - such as they are after freezing temps.

Last edited: