Hinge cutting around food plot

Brandon

Yearling... With promise
I was wondering if anyone hinge cuts around there food plots? If so do you hinge trees outward from the plot or hinge them parallel with the food plot edges. Looking to give the deer more securement while feeding in the plot. Any help would be appreciated.

I hinge/Edge feather, so thick the deer have only one place to come out in the field on the side I hinge. I hinge thick so the bucks have to come out and expose themselves to sight check for doe's. I do not want the bucks to stand in the woods and look in the food plot if possible! Tornado hinge so thick, you dictate where the deer come out, not the deer!

Sometimes it depends if you are looking to add it as a food source and to discourage random traffic in and out anywhere or if you want to create more of a blockade with designed entry points. With that said I like to lean the tree limbs toward the pot as they are probably leaning that way anyways and you need to be very cautious cutting against the lean. Going towards the plot is easy browse where you want them and the limbs will get a little more light for the shoots.

Thank you for the video and replies. This is what I am working with. This plot would be hinged 3 out of the 4 sides. The 4th side would have 8 rows of standing corn. I was originally going to make 4 access holes in the 4 corners of the plot but have wondered if deer would use it if I only put two in it. These two would put the deer within 25yards of my stands. Just not sure the deer would use it like I would hope.

Attachments

• IMG_20170127_162318643_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170127_162318643_HDR.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20170127_162140433_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170127_162140433_HDR.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 40
The Closer to your stand the better. If normal winds allow it!

I also hinge around my plot. When I cleared the area for the plot I also piled all the stumps an tops to control entry points.

IMO. Those pine might not hinge to well but I would definitely cut them down regardless. Preferably not in your plot If you can help it.

Weezy the pines have been hinging pretty well as long as the temps have been above 20 degrees. Sure they will never stay alive but they have been staying hinged. I have been cutting some bedding areas just to get some sun light in. I think I have decided to cut the trees parallel with the food plot edges and leave 4 to 5 opening for deer to enter. I am just afraid if I totally box this plot in the deer won't use it. I know the coyotes would take full advantage of the boxing in option.IMG_20170107_140140950_HDR.jpg

Weezy the pines have been hinging pretty well as long as the temps have been above 20 degrees. Sure they will never stay alive but they have been staying hinged. I have been cutting some bedding areas just to get some sun light in. I think I have decided to cut the trees parallel with the food plot edges and leave 4 to 5 opening for deer to enter. I am just afraid if I totally box this plot in the deer won't use it. I know the coyotes would take full advantage of the boxing in option.View attachment 12140

I actually have a similar situation. I dozed a 2.5 acre plot out of the timber. So the majority of the trees are piled up parallel to the plot. I have 4 openings each with a waterhole and stand.
My plot is fairly boxed in, probaly 5 ft high, and deer can still get through it or jump over it so Idk about the coyote situation.

Thanks Weezy for the feedback. Now you got me thinking about boxing it in. I guess I could always cut it back open in the corners if they stop using the plot.

They won't stop using the plot. They will just enter and exit through the openings. Usually feeding through the plot from one exit to another. As far as the deer being spooked or chased by predators, trust me they will run right through your hinge cuts no matter how thick they are.

Give them a couple ( I like 3 minimum) entrance/exits otherwise think like a prey animal...wouldn't be safe if just one way in or out.

I put 3 in so will see how that works. I will post pics when I get a chance. Hoping this will work. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm fairly new to hinge cutting, I hinge along edges so they fall parallel to woods and they seem to always just end up being close to food plot and stand. I primarily hinge maples, I want to feed deer and create border cover.