Helpful Websites

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I'm trying to make a plan for next year and am looking for any websites you guys have that are helpful in your planning of food plots etc...

1 that I found, and maybe you guys have something better, is an interactive satelite map that allows you to calculate acreage really accurately.
Helps for ordering seed, fertilizer and just general knowledge of what you've got and where.
https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

You guys have any good websites whether it's your go to for products or things to help you learn your properties better?

Share it on here.

I like draft logic. They have two that I use a lot; the area calculator and the distance calculator. I've compared measurements with a surveyor and they are damn close.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

deerbuilder.com Click on the "seeds" bar at the top. This is basic info, but it breaks down the common food plot seeds, the soil pH needed for each seed type to flourish, and the avg. cost per acre to seed. I printed off that chart and put those pages in a binder at camp for easy reference.

I've used #1,8,9, & 10 of the sites listed by Scott44 above also.

I am now playing on a web viewer for my states lidar map data. Lidar seems to be a great map of elevation. I don’t have much elevation on my place and so it is cool to see all of the smaller changes.

Google your state name and lidar. Your state likely has a web viewer for the lidar maps. There may be different layers you can see over a Photo map. My place shows the old logging roads under the canopy that were made over 40 years ago. Much better than a topo for subtle elevation.

At least in IN - each county has a website with sat maps as well. The browser my county uses allows for measurements and also then acts as a plat book so you can see who owns different neighboring properties and the like. Here....these sites are typically found thru the county assessors office web site. The satellite images I post in my land tour come from that site mostly. You will see mine is aimed at crops and the like because my area is intensely farmed... I also frequent my state DNR fish & Wildlife website...it's OK and is good for some general info, but I then turn to forums I trust for further detail and first hand experiences. I also am active on a few other forums (some national based, some more regional, some more state based).

Other sites I have used at one time or another...

http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm
- thru the USDA...they map out all the soil types of your property.

https://nassgeodata.gmu.edu/CropScape/
I also use one called "cropscape". This site tells you about all the crops and land use....I did it for my county. It tends to show you what you already know...but it's nice to have the data to support it.

https://farmlogs.com/
I use a site called farm logs to track rainfall and my ag crop rotation as well

https://nassgeodata.gmu.edu/CropScape/
I also use one called "cropscape". This site tells you about all the crops and land use....I did it for my county. It tends to show you what you already know...but it's nice to have the data to support it.

Thanks j-bird! This is the one I've been looking for! I had a hunch (based on satellite imagery) that a few of the fields close by might be ag producers, but since they are down a private road I had no way to verify. Everything else around me is cattle farms so I without confirmation I just had to assume it was more pasture land. Amazingly there are a couple fields within a 1/2 mile that appear to have been in a soybean/corn rotation over the last few years. Many thanks!!

Thanks j-bird! This is the one I've been looking for! I had a hunch (based on satellite imagery) that a few of the fields close by might be ag producers, but since they are down a private road I had no way to verify. Everything else around me is cattle farms so I without confirmation I just had to assume it was more pasture land. Amazingly there are a couple fields within a 1/2 mile that appear to have been in a soybean/corn rotation over the last few years. Many thanks!!
Glad you found something of use....

This doesn’t help with the seeds or Ag info, but I have found a ton of use for the ONX Hunt app. There’s a yearly subscription but it’s very handy. The fact that it has property lines (mostly accurate) and landowner names for every property in the country/state is handy as heck...even in town at my house.

Outside of that I’ve mapped out all my food plots on their mapping tool. It calculate distance and area with a number of different tools. It helped me dial in exactly how many pounds of various seeds I will need. You can map live with GPS (walking) or do it with their shape tools remotely. I have a new property and we have had good snow cover for a couple weeks now. This weekend I plan to go walk and map all the major deer trails I can and the use that info to help tweak my plans for plots and stand locations.