Help with golden hornet crab

chummer

5 year old buck +
Does any one have one, and what zone. I am looking at them because they are a tier 5 bloomer, which is the latest blooming crab I have seen. Cummins will not guarantee or even guess is they are good for zone 3. I can't find a zone on them any where. Other than cummins all the other sites I found with them are in England.

Somebody here has one, because I was fortunate enough to get one of the scions from Art last spring.
I have no idea on zone rating either, but will know next May if they survived a central MN winter.
Same thing here. My grafts were fast growers on dolgo seedlings. Some zone 4 thigng do OK here, some do not.

Hey Stu

I have a Golden Hornet from Cummins I planted last year. It's on G202 in my home orchard and growing like a weed. I'll be able to get you some scion next spring of you want.
Golden%20Hornet%208-25-15%20010_zpst1ll8ulf.jpg

It had 50+ crabs on this spring and I left about 20 on it. Didn't seem to hurt leaving that many on.
Golden%20Hornet%208-25-15%20008_zpsxlmda47b.jpg

Golden%20Hornet%208-25-15%20005_zpsd1nbwtsp.jpg

that's some Sevin residue you see on the crab and leaves.

Question: I too got my Golden Hornet from Cummins on g202, but decided to plant mine 'deep' in an effort to negate the g202 rootstock and get a full-size tree.

Is that likely to slow the growth of the tree? The reason I ask is that I'm getting slower growth on that tree than I am on the b.118/GHC that I grafted.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I will try 1 instead of 5 and see how it does. Good luck getting those through winter.

Nice looking tree grey

Anyone in the cold have an update on this one?

Don't have near the cold down here that you have Chummer, but here's a couple of pics of my Golden Hornet after 22 degrees last week.
4-7-16%20thicket%20amp%20emma%20023_zpslpvcqn87.jpg

4-7-16%20thicket%20amp%20emma%20021_zpszybwywcz.jpg

Do you have any Viola Crab from SLN? Mine is just starting to wake up.
4-8-16%20008_zps9x77kj2m.jpg

My Chestnut Crab has wilted leaves. Don't know yet if the blossoms survived or not.
Back40%20trees%204-10-16%20002_zps9jrlppak.jpg

What was your coldest temp this winter? I do have one viola. It was one of my only trees at silver tip last weekend. good luck with the chestnut, that doesn't look promising.

I believe -2 was the lowest it got here.

Golden Hornet grew very well on dolgo. I even had to pick some blooms off of it.

We did not have a very good test winter. It seems like lowest temperatures were about -18 and not the usual -30 or -35.

Golden Hornet grew very well on dolgo. I even had to pick some blooms off of it.

We did not have a very good test winter. It seems like lowest temperatures were about -18 and not the usual -30 or -35.

We had a mild winter too, but we still had a couple -30's. Not sure if it takes one -30 to kill stuff or if it is a prolonged thing with many -30's.