Health and Wellness

Staying physically active every day is a huge part in being able to stay active a whole lot longer in life. I would guess that both my Grandpas were in their mid to late 80s before they physically just could not do as much as they used to. I like the post or two above that said they do some stretching every day. That is something I do not do like I should and hopefully when I get the new house finished and have a dedicated work out room I will do it more often. Losing flexibility leads to a lot of injuries IMO.

CONGRATS! That's up there. E8?

My BIL is a Sargent Major. If I remember right he was up for Command Sarget Major but I don't think got it.

Yeah, he made it! Very nice! I’m doing alright considering I joined the Army on a dare in high school when I was 17. Never thought I would do it this long. Heck I have been in the Army for more of my life than not. Crazy, but it’s time to move on. Young man’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, he made it! Very nice! I’m doing alright considering I joined the Army on a dare in high school when I was 17. Never thought I would do it this long. Heck I have been in the Army for more of my life than not. Crazy, but it’s time to move on. Young man’s game.

Thank you T!

The problem with most men as they age is that even though our bodies are 55, 65, 75, etc...in our minds we are perpetually 25. Coming to terms with that I think is a slow, and sometimes painful, process if we don't age smartly.

Besides the obvious...good diet, moderation of alcohol, no smoking, good mental health....one huge key IMO is to KEEP MOVING...maybe just slower, maybe just a little less. Know your limitations and know when the thing is too heavy to lift. Know when it's time to stop running the chainsaw. Know when it's time to get off the roof....despite what your 25 year old self is telling you inside.

Second key as some have already said is some kind of a stretching routine.

At 55, I am really very good at staying active year round. I am terrible at stretching though. I know I need to do it...I just don't make the time for it.

Interesting topic. If we don't take care of our mind & body, we can't be very good stewards of our properties. I did not do a very good job of taking care of myself during my working years. Since retirement, I've started swimming 30 minutes / day, 4 to 5 days a week. I also walk a lot . Dietary choices are just as important, which is a real struggle for me. I like everything! However, I've learned that cutting way back on refined sugar & carbs is critical to health. We have been fed lies & poison by the USDA and food companies for decades. Just go to any Wal-Mart, county fair, or "all you can eat" buffet and see for yourself.

Aging is a funny thing, your brain and your body aren't always on the same page as you get older. I have always been fairly active and kept in shape, but as I got older the long business flights, office time, etc. began to outweigh my efforts. The weekends were critical to me as that was my "chop wood carry water" time. Simple, physical, hard work helped to blow out the cobwebs and get me some physical time.

I am 64 so I don't work as long as I did in 30-40's. Used to do 12 hr days in the field which are now 7-8 hrs with breaks. I am okay with that as you start to work smarted not harder. Added a tractor with lots of implements which has been a huge improvement to getting things done. I have a good solid hand dolly and hand cart I use in the shop to move things.

About 3.5 years ago I was diagnosed with a very serious health issue, it has changed my life. The treatments for it take a big toll on the body. To balance that I have to focus on improving my body's chemistry, detoxing, and overall and health. There is traditional medicine (doctors, hospitals, approved medical treatments) and there is the wholistic side. I learned that the medical professional only focus' is on treatment, and don't really much on the side of improving your body's health.

The holistic side focus' on the body's health. I have incorporated a mind-body-spirit approach which focus' on the minds impact on overall health and well being. The big thing I am focused on is detoxing to help balance out the adverse effects of the treatment chemicals. The importance of supporting your bodies organs to process & detoxify is very important. I stopped drinking 3.5 years ago, have never smoked. Drink only filtered (Berkey system) water. Drink about 2-3 quarts of water every day.

I take supplements and put green herbal detox powders in my protein shake to support the detox effort. People don't realize how much protein they need. Someone my age and size needs 90-120 grams of protein a day. I used to live to eat, lots of healthy stuff but also too much fun stuff. I now eat to live. Lots of protein (fish, chix, and yes red meat), fruits, vegetables, along with good carbs and whole grains. I try and buy organic when I can to get food that is not been subjected to anti-biotics, herbicides, etc.

The treatments knock me down so I have to focus on getting up and start moving as soon as I can. Issues like neuropathy, leg, joint pain, nausea, etc. all creep in. Pain becomes a regular part of your life, but you can't let it take over. I have learned that motion is lotion. Stretching, walking, adding some light weight routines, all help.

I have a different appreciation for life now and have made changes. Sold my business, focus more on my wife and family, and have had some old friends that really have stepped up and become a strong support group for me. The other aspect is adding spirituality to the mix. Never would preach this to anyone but it has added a nice calming time when I go there.

I no longer look to the horizon as the say tomorrow is never promised to us. I focus on each day and try to be a little bit better. I have learned to be more curious rather than judge someone as everyone has something they are dealing with. A lot of you out there are hard chargers, make sure you take some time to appreciate what you have and those around you.

A friend who went through the same thing said the most important thing you can do as anger will rise, always remember to be kind. Good words to live by!

Last edited:
The problem with most men as they age is that even though our bodies are 55, 65, 75, etc...in our minds we are perpetually 25
Amen. Keeps the wives on their toes though!

FIL has dementia. He's incapable of understanding what's happening to him, which is a blessing... but it's a completely horrible disease in what it does to the individual and their loved ones.

This is what scares me the most. Been around it a few times and it is AWFUL!

my dad retired on a union pension in his early 50’s. Was a tough workin SOB. A decade of sitting in the lazy boy and his body and mind have degraded at an alarming pace. Stay active folks!

The people who told us we need to eat 11 servings of grains every day are the same ones who told us red meat was bad for you. I try to eat as much steak and eggs as I can along with colorful veggies like sweet potatoes, squash, purple potatoes, berries of all sorts and a lot of spinach. I also get 30 minutes on my exercise bike and 4 sets of 25 squats, push ups and crunches. I'm 56 and I want to live a long able life. I ran into a guy elk hunting out in Montana who was 80 and still going strong. That's my goal right now. I also ref high school wrestling so that helps a lot too. My legs used to kill me at the end of a tournament, but now since I've been doing this regiment for the last 3 years it hardly bothers me. STAY ACTIVE!!!!

I don’t have a regular exercise schedule currently. I try to stay active by engaging with my kids and grandchild’s activities… playing basketball, ping pong, spike ball, trampoline, running, disc golf, etc. At 53, I resonate with the comments about stretching—definitely need to incorporate into my schedule better.

Regarding comments about dementia—we have that in our family currently. No fun. I read/hear somewhere that a sport like table tennis helps keep your brain active and prevents dementia. Not sure if that’s true or not.

Work took a toll on my body. I have lost some weight the last two years which helps.

Nothing to do but keep moving but also realize I can no longer do somethings.

Mountain hunts are out of the picture and I have pretty much given up bow hunting. It is difficult to set up a stand and hunt it.

I much prefer rifle hunting with my family than bow hunting alone.

Not much tree planting anymore.

Still fishing!

I read somewhere that fully engaging your brain can help stave off cognitive issues. I am left handed and can do almost nothing with my right hand. I make a point to brush my teeth every night offhanded. It was a struggle at first. Very sore gums, but it has gotten better and I feel like my motor skills are improving. Building this latest shed I even drove some nails right handed. Quite the accomplishment and once I apply the tin you will never know I did it!

Diabetes, high blood pressure & prostate cancer here. My eating habits could improve but other wise I try to stay active. Wife and I ride bikes twice daily, weather permitting a minimum 5 mile per ride. If weather is bad we have treadmills & a Schwinn airdyne in the basement. We go to the Y twice a week. I'll walk the track for 10-15 minutes and lift weights for 15-20, she walks the entire time. I was 225 when I retired, got down to 180 give or take a few. At 187 now but trying to take off a few more.

I read somewhere that fully engaging your brain can help stave off cognitive issues. I am left handed and can do almost nothing with my right hand. I make a point to brush my teeth every night offhanded. It was a struggle at first. Very sore gums, but it has gotten better and I feel like my motor skills are improving. Building this latest shed I even drove some nails right handed. Quite the accomplishment and once I apply the tin you will never know I did it!

One of the things I have learned since I retired is that you will go from being fully active, engaged, and driven by your schedule to the complete opposite. When I owned the business, which had built to serve a global clientele, the was always an emergency, project, deadline, negotiation, etc. Free time was really non-existent and the brain was always engaged. In retirement, all that goes away and you can lose your sense of purpose.

In retirement you need to rebuild your life structure & routines, to create things that give you a sense of purpose and engage your mind. In one area, I have taken over the household stuff (wash, groceries, meal prep, repairs, etc.). Wife is still working so that lightens her load. I also have the farm with projects there. As you mentioned, maintaining your cognitive skills is done be keeping your brain active and learning new things, tackling problems, building your social circle, new hobbies, etc.

Teaching yourself to use your right hand to hammer versus left sounds like a good challenge. For me though, pounding nails with my left and holding a nail with my right might lead to too much collateral damage 😲

If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken much better care of myself. Pissed away a bunch of my "good" years going through the rebel without a clue faze. Now just about everything is hard to do. Back problems are the biggest issue and not being able to push myself physically leads to being in even worse physical condition. Found out how fast you can go down hill after I was in a hospital bed for 7 weeks. I could barely walk when I got out. Getting older is only fun up until about 30 years old in my experience. Everything is smarter not harder now.