Hawthorn? and what else?

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
IMG_20150424_162326_019.jpg IMG_20150424_162309_511.jpg IMG_20150424_162300_828.jpg IMG_20150424_162415_648.jpg IMG_20150424_183005_579.jpg So I found this tree with thorns and I don't know what it is. I've never found a hawthorn/thornapple before this. The final picture is just something that I found and I don't have any idea what it was. Any ideas?

That would be my guess. I have a love hate relation ship with them. I love when they are not in my way and hate when I have to any where near them. They have one flat tire to their credit. Wait until they bloom, they smell horrible.

They're under a bunch of white oaks. I was super surprised to find them. Just another piece to the puzzle I suppose!

I'd say those are hawthorne as well.

The last one wait for the leaves to fill out and post photos. How large is it? The specks look a little like alder but, we need to see the leaves.

It wasn't large at all... maybe 3-4 foot? It was in the understory of a hardwood canopy, so I can't be sure it is the height it would be normally, or if it is stunted because of the lack of sunlight.

I am gonna say thornapple. I have not looked at my hawthorn yet this spring, now I want to. ;)

I found lots today at my college's arb. Apparently we've got an american chestnut tree that's mature... I've found leaves, but yet to find the tree! I digress.... I'll be able to compare leaves to what I've got on my property. It's amazing to see all the blossoms in the woods at this time of the year! I'm hoping that I can get up to my property in the next week so that I can ID some new hidden apples or pears!