Has anyone gone lead free for gun season?

Wintomatic

5 year old buck +
We process our own deer and I have seen lead fragments that have made it into our processing over the years.
I am a vet and have seen how tiny fragments of lead get disseminated, even from a 22 shell that are visible in xrays.
I switched over to lead free ammo a long time ago, and am considering requiring all people hunting on my property to use it.
We are shotgun only in my area, and now they even have lead free rifled slugs for smooth bore shotguns.709CC1D2-7094-4554-8CBD-9DDB90F05C8F.jpeg
(Concern about lead isn’t the only reason I switched)

"Concern about lead isn't the only reason I switch"... I'm curious as to what other things you are concerned with?

I have only switched to steel for waterfowl. I still shoot lead shot for doves, quail, rabbit, etc. I very seldom shoot deer with anything other than an arrow.

I only shoot Barnes out of my muzzleloader. Lead free and excellent terminal performance. I’m shooting them out of my rifle right now too.

I’d say that beautifully petaled out slug is a big reason he swapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had Remington copper solids make that perfect mushroom before, and I’ve had them come apart into a hailstorm of petals tumbling through a deer. Either way they worked well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For bird hunting I have gone all steel. Not for the environment, but because they shoot different then lead, and if I have to shoot steel for waterfall, and I switch back to lead for pheasant, it has a learning curve. I prefer to just shoot the same. As far as slug/rifle, I use lead.

I've been shooting Hevi-shot from my turkey gun for years. When I run out, I'll probably go to TSS.

Copper bullets work well for me im shotgun amd muzzleloader as well. Haven't found one that my .308 likes. Still use some lead for birds, but also have tungsten, steel, and, bismuth shells that I use.

That bullet is a barnes expander that they were using at the time I bought them. (Federal vital-shock that were on sale for cheap and they had a rebate too. Ended up being <$7.00/ box so I stocked up and will be using them for a few years yet.)
I was using remington copper solids before that, but they have gotten so expensive. $17.00 a box I saw them for at Fleet Farm this year.
Yes I’m “frugal” that way.
The copper solids are slower than the Federal, but they are very accurate and they drop a deer in its tracks like no other sabot slug I have ever used.
For smooth bore I will never use anything but Federal Tru-ball 2 3/4 1oz. (Yes I know they are lead, but I am hoping they will come out with a copper/ lead free version.)
By the way Fleet Farm has them on sale for $3.99/box and Federal has a rebate going now until the end of the year.
It is : 2 boxes=$4/ 3 boxes=$7/ 4 boxes=$10 for the Vital shock tru-ball.
And sabots 2 boxes=$10
Up to $40 total rebate on any mix of them. (They didn’t have the rebate amounts listed, so I called and checked.)

Many people don't take lead poisoning seriously unless they've been affected by it. If you draw a dot on a piece of paper, that's how much lead it takes to poison a child. Many associate lead poisoning with learning disabilities and behavioral disorders. But it's also linked to many other conditions and illnesses, some of which don't show up until later in life.

Although not from lead ammo, my family has been harmed by the metal. Our source was lead contaminated water. When my first born, Chris (6), had his first birthday doctor checkup, his blood lead level came back so high that the doctor reassured us not to worry, that it had to be a lab error. After more intravenous samples, we learned it wasn't a mistake. We moved out of our house that very day, and after sampling for two weeks everything we owned, we discovered the cause. His levels were in the eighties, which are bordering on fatal. We had been thawing frozen breast milk that my wife pumped for him in hot tap water. Holes in the bags allowed the water to blend. That, added on to his level being the same as my wife's from in utero, made it pretty bad. He had two rounds of chelation, and today he's a growing boy with a high IQ and a lust for life. His teeth have problems from lack of enamel formation. Otherwise we hold out hope that any attitude problems he sometimes graces us with, are just typical 6 year old boy traits. My wife still worries a lot, because we know that some things may not show up until later on in his life.

My wife was pregnant with Henry when we learned of the issue. She was tested immediately and scored "only" in the twenties. His would've been exactly the same, as they shared the same blood. Lead affects everyone differently. We may never know if Henry was hurt worse by it than Chris. They are very different from each other. He's in kindergarten now, and we're pleased to say he was dismissed from the IEP plan he was on. Personally, I would say he's just onto the autism spectrum. Due to lead?

In any event, I stopped using lead shot. Tomorrow I need to buy new slugs for Friday's opener. They'll be copper. Sighting in today, I had a catastrophe with my scope mounts and shot through $45 worth of shells. Dug into the safe for a backup, just that it's been so long and I can't remember what shot well out of it! This is a whole different story.

We are very cautions about all things lead. Using lead-free ammo seems easy.

Many people don't take lead poisoning seriously unless they've been affected by it. If you draw a dot on a piece of paper, that's how much lead it takes to poison a child. Many associate lead poisoning with learning disabilities and behavioral disorders. But it's also linked to many other conditions and illnesses, some of which don't show up until later in life.

Although not from lead ammo, my family has been harmed by the metal. Our source was lead contaminated water. When my first born, Chris (6), had his first birthday doctor checkup, his blood lead level came back so high that the doctor reassured us not to worry, that it had to be a lab error. After more intravenous samples, we learned it wasn't a mistake. We moved out of our house that very day, and after sampling for two weeks everything we owned, we discovered the cause. His levels were in the eighties, which are bordering on fatal. We had been thawing frozen breast milk that my wife pumped for him in hot tap water. Holes in the bags allowed the water to blend. That, added on to his level being the same as my wife's from in utero, made it pretty bad. He had two rounds of chelation, and today he's a growing boy with a high IQ and a lust for life. His teeth have problems from lack of enamel formation. Otherwise we hold out hope that any attitude problems he sometimes graces us with, are just typical 6 year old boy traits. My wife still worries a lot, because we know that some things may not show up until later on in his life.

My wife was pregnant with Henry when we learned of the issue. She was tested immediately and scored "only" in the twenties. His would've been exactly the same, as they shared the same blood. Lead affects everyone differently. We may never know if Henry was hurt worse by it than Chris. They are very different from each other. He's in kindergarten now, and we're pleased to say he was dismissed from the IEP plan he was on. Personally, I would say he's just onto the autism spectrum. Due to lead?

In any event, I stopped using lead shot. Tomorrow I need to buy new slugs for Friday's opener. They'll be copper. Sighting in today, I had a catastrophe with my scope mounts and shot through $45 worth of shells. Dug into the safe for a backup, just that it's been so long and I can't remember what shot well out of it! This is a whole different story.

We are very cautions about all things lead. Using lead-free ammo seems easy.
Dang, that's some scary stuff. I wish the best for you and your family with this stuff. Very compelling to use lead alternatives.

I butchered my doe last night. I shot her at about 50 yrds with a 250 gr Barnes TMZ (copper) and 110 gr of blackhorn 209. I was absolutely floored by how big the entrance hole was when we skun her. (it was almost as big as my fist) I did not get a pass through but the bullet stayed together, spent so much of its energy that when it stopped just under the hide on the off side shoulder that hole was the same size as the slug. I was in a tree stand when I shot her and with no exit wound there wasn't a single drop of blood (that I saw) She ran about 20 yrds before tipping over. Another interesting thing was that her back straps were almost completely separated from the spine/rib area only connected in the fron of the deer and the back. I have never seen this before and wonder if it was from the shock of the hit.

Cant say the Barnes TMZ are the best out there but I like them a lot better than the TC Shockwaves I was using.

Yep first yr and thourally impressed with Barnes ttsx 308 handloads!
1CA0301C-3DD0-4BF1-815F-D5E09F86066D.jpeg