Hanging trail cameras by branches?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anybody done it before?

Need some weigh to keep the wind from swaying? Was going to make a metal hook and hang it up with a stick. Would like to see deer activity in the snowmobile / atv path. I've put cameras a few trees back without them getting stolen, but would like to see the big picture.

A lot will depend on the camera. You can hang a camera high in a tree angled downward, but this limits the coverage of the PIR. It can work for point source things like scrapes and rubs, but is less effective on trails.

If a tree will sway in the wind, can't imagine a hanging camera not swaying.

Anybody done it before?

Need some weigh to keep the wind from swaying? Was going to make a metal hook and hang it up with a stick. Would like to see deer activity in the snowmobile / atv path. I've put cameras a few trees back without them getting stolen, but would like to see the big picture.

Are you referring to hanging trail cameras overlooking licking branches....or do you actually mean hanging a camera on a tree branch??

I would say it depends on how big of a branch and/or how far out you have it. I've used the below device but on sturdy branches and not so far out that just the weight of the camera makes the branch bend and therefore most likely to move with the wind. https://www.amazon.com/koolehaoda-M...er-Monitor/dp/B092QS2WWS?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I would say i you really wanted to run thing over like the center of a road or trail, a branch isn;t going top work well, odds are will move too much and get you ton of pictures of nothing doing nothing but running your batteries down

I would suggest maybe just trying to find a section of the road or trail where there is a slight turn ,bend in it, so when you attach to a tree or a post you add, it will be aimed down the trail in more of a straight line

just keep in mind, objects coming at it with any speed will maybe be a blur and useless?
and things going away with speed will most likely be missed, till camera wakes up and then takes a pic, I run a few camera's aimed at roads, and I personally have the best luck with using then at an angle across things, this way it has more time to trip and get an image of SOMETHING,
I will admit I miss quite a bit due to speeds many things travel down the road at!
better the trigger speed and wake up time the better odds you will have
you can always test things by putting the camera on your roadway in front of your house? if you live in a more rural road that is!, and you can see how many you MISS as to get!

Wild Thing, I want to hang it right on a sturdy branch closer to the trunk.

MRBB, I am on a logging company lease that has a snowmobile trail on it. ATV's do use the property. They shouldn't. But I cant enforce it, and I dont get upset with it either. I leave the middle of the path untilled and put clover n grains along the side of it. Just interested in the deer. Will likely see some ATV / SxS activity. Might be fun to watch.

I recommend the Slate River trail camera mounts. Buy one on Amazon or elsewhere and try it out. They were about $18 or $20 the last time I bought. It's the best I've found and I've tried quite a few methods. Actually, just remembered...I bought mine from Trailcampro not Amazon.

I recommend the Slate River trail camera mounts. Buy one on Amazon or elsewhere and try it out. They were about $18 or $20 the last time I bought. It's the best I've found and I've tried quite a few methods. Actually, just remembered...I bought mine from Trailcampro not Amazon.
One man's bane is another man's joy! 😊