Hammering soybeans again

Smokinbenelli

Yearling... With promise
So again this year the deer are hammering my soybeans. I have a 3 acre plot of beans. Half of me is happy they are getting the protein while they are growing. The other half is irritated that there won't be much after they dry up for them to eat. How many acres are people having success with beans staying ahead of the deer?

Last time I had a dedicated bean plot it was just about 2.5 acres planted heavy the deer had spots it looked like some1 took a brush chopper and just mowed them down but they did ok and the deer fed into the winter on them by spring there was very little sign a bean was ever there... This is in an area with a pretty high deer density and the closest fields are harvested early as silage not a ton of food around

Team #20 Undeertakers

Two-and-a-half acres. There have been years that were wipe-outs. I think I have learned two things. I don't know if my observations are valid. So, take it for what its worth. First, I shifted where I plant beans from the field edge to the middle of a field. My first thoughts were to plant prime field entry-exit spots - like inside corners and traditionl trails.. Those are the places deer feel safe and will get into a plot and eat it to the ground. I guess its not so much a shift as I will still plant those "safe" areas, but the planting is extended beyond. It seems to work. If I could teach the deer to eat just every other plant it would allow the soybean plant to compensate by filling the empty space!. The second thing that helped, I think, was to let the weeds grow crazy wild. I spray at four to six weeks (I guess) after planting. Deer don't seem interested in picking thru the weeds to get to the beans. Of course there are always trade-offs. But, for the last five + years the return has been better than the 'offs.'

I should be quick to point-out there are a couple hundred acres of ag beans in the immeidate vicinity.

Last year on my Missouri farm we planted eight acres and they never got over ten inches tall. They didn't make it to the mid September bow opener. I guess it just depends on your area...
I would love to try again because I have seen the attraction late season around here but I don't really have the funds or resources to fence a plot that size. Maybe someday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted them with sunflowers and buckwheat this year. The sunflower and BW took enough of the pressure that the beans had a chance. May try that again next year. My understanding and my plan is to broadcast small grain and maybe some red clover right into the fading beans.

Here you able to spray for weeds in your sunflower/buckwheat/ soy bean plot?

So again this year the deer are hammering my soybeans. I have a 3 acre plot of beans. Half of me is happy they are getting the protein while they are growing. The other half is irritated that there won't be much after they dry up for them to eat. How many acres are people having success with beans staying ahead of the deer?

Broadcast some winter rye into them when they start to yellow. Mid to late Sept I would think in PA. If you get good moisture you will have lush greens under the beans by late fall.

When I first started, we had very high deer densities. I could not grow ag beans. Using Eagle beans and planting 3 acres, the deer could not kill them but kept them naked all summer. Each time a deer would eat a leaf the plant would grow another. The next year I went to 5 acres and protected 1 acre with a Gallagher-style e-fence to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong with my ag practices. Inside the fence the beans were over 6' and way to thick to walk through. Outside the fence they were naked.

The next year I went to 7 acres of eagle beans and got them to canopy for the first time without protection. Keep in mind that we were shooting every doe we could during this entire period. Finally, last year, the combination of heavy female harvest, coyotes moving into the area, and a hard winter (by our standards) knocked our population down to the level where we restricted female harvest. Last spring I got ag beans to canopy without protection for the first time. Our population is bouncing back quickly. This year I have ag beans canopying in some areas but not others. I may have to go back to Eagle beans next year.

Now this is the best of my recollection looking back. You can find more details posted contemporaneously here: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...ots-of-deer-transferred-from-qdma-forum.5574/

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...d-corn-field-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5543/

One thing you will see in the links above is that the light mix of corn actually had some protective effect on the beans. It is not major but I found it quite interesting.

So, the bottom line for me appear to be around 7 acres.

Thanks,

Jack