Half rack bucks

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
I have never seen a half rack buck on my land until this year. I saw two this year a 6 and a 8. The only shooter I saw this year during gun also had his G2 and 3 busted off. It seems a lot of people saw deer with busted up racks this year. I was talking to a guy that said a bucks antlers are softer in years that are easy for them and they have had good nutrition. In tough years their antlers are harder. Has anyone saw a lot of busted rack and what are your thoughts on this theory.

All I know for sure is that bucks that are the tough guys on the block end up breaking points. Personally I think late spring and summer weather has more impact on antler growth and durability in our area. Good moisture means better vegetative growth, which leads to better nutrition for the deer, which brings on better mass which probably makes for stronger racks.

I had a pretty decent 6 pointer with no brow tines at all bust his rack on nov 11 I think. 12 hours before he had a full rack came back early morning with main beam and another point gone.

Oddly I have multiple broken bucks on camera very year and callng s not very effective on my land.

I think a lot of it has to do with competition. The closer your buck to doe ratio is, the more conflict you have between bucks, and you end up with more busted up antlers.

I think a lot of it has to do with competition. The closer your buck to doe ratio is, the more conflict you have between bucks, and you end up with more busted up antlers.[/QUOTEYou're
I think a lot of it has to do with competition. The closer your buck to doe ratio is, the more conflict you have between bucks, and you end up with more busted up antlers.
You might be spot on Satchmo. Our land we actually see just as many bucks as does, maybe a little more. There is a lot of qdm in the area, and everybody seems to pass on smaller bucks and take does if they want venison. I had four bucks in my field sparring Sunday of opening weekend of gun season. It's just strange because I have never had any busted up till this year.

We see very little in the way of busted racks on our MN property, but when we go over and hunt the in-laws place in WI, it is very common.

This guys all intact last week but could have lost an eye fighting.

Attachments

• blind.jpg
    blind.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 10