Habitat tools that work for you

Forgot about the DeWalt tool

another fixture in the bed of the polaris ranger

bill

I need to feed myself while doing habitat work, and this is a trick.

GpJCC1H.jpg

And size does matter when your trees start getting big

UDgRUEO.jpg

Is there any particular kind/brand of gloves that are tough in the briars/brush but still easy to maneuver your fingers? I have always just used the yellow leather gloves but I don't seem to be able to move my fingers well in them.
I have simply been using mechanics gloves.....they are not as thick to protect totally from the briars, but they are thick enough to be better than nothing and still work rather well and they have a lot more dexterity to them in my opinion. I also like those that have the velcro closure on them to keep stuff from getting down into them....stuff goes flying everywhere when I'm slinging my clearing saw! The pair I am using now I actually have a hole worn on the pad area of my right index finger from so much use.

9ea2e036e5e24a0bd6abdbca08f4311e.jpg

This has been my best habitat tool. I drill a few holes and squirt in some roundup. No better way to kill a bunch of trees fast, and get sunlight to the floor. Safer (for me) and lighter than a chainsaw, and easier to get to those back steep ridges where I’m trying to create bedding. Easier (for me) to haul an extra battery as opposed to a gas can and bar oil as I don’t have a UTV. Chainsaw has its place, but only if the ground is solid enough for me to drive it to where I need to cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will hack n squirt with Roundup work while trees are dormant? For some reason I've always used Tordon RTU in the winter but gly would be alot cheaper if it kills the same

I’ve had a lot of luck with it all year round. It doesn’t always kill the trees immediately (especially sassafras for some reason), but they always, always die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last couple of years I used the Fiskar pruning shears...hate the locking mech. Fiskar does make a sweet splitting maul/axe that I absolutely love and use a bunch.

Going to try this Senkichi rachet pruner this year have read good reviews on it.

c7HNQhk.jpg

Last couple of years I used the Fiskar pruning shears...hate the locking mech. Fiskar does make a sweet splitting maul/axe that I absolutely love and use a bunch.

Going to try this Senkichi rachet pruner this year have read good reviews on it.

c7HNQhk.jpg

I don't like Fiskars secateurs/shears. Their loppers are excellent and go through limbs like butter with clean cuts. I have a Fiskars axe/maul as well that I use for felling, limbing, and splitting, and it does a great job on all three.

Thought about this question a bit and I think my DR. Versa-Trailer wins. This thing has been a beast for me, and has allowed me to so some serious habitat work that would not be otherwise possible. I do a ton of logging with it. It'll haul a 2,000 lb. load of bucked up firewood easily, over rough terrain and on unimproved trails. The bed comes off the frame so it also acts like a log craddle. I haul lime, dead deer, treestands, brush to my burn pilles, rocks, etc. In the early spring I haul sap with it. It has a hand winch attachment that allows me to use it as a dump trailer. It will go anywhere my ATV will go. It was pricey....but it has paid for itself in spades over the past 10 years I've owned it.

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2652a.jpg
    IMG_2652a.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 13