Habitat Consultant Reviews

That is a good channel

So to challenge that logic to some degree; wouldn’t a a guy like Jeff/WHS be the best consultant due to having the most client
Experience? Not posing this to be jerk; it’s a dialogue I’ve had in my own head as I am trying to select a consultant.

There is also a big fork in the road between the deer-centric and conservation based camps.

It probably depends where you're located. Jeff seems to hunt Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. He has others working for him now, though, who might be experienced in other regions, but they do seem focused on the Northern US. They do not seem particularly focused on Ohio or New York, so you might be better served by someone local.

Sturgis didn't respond to an inquiry from me last year and I'm in the same state as him.

Last edited:
swampcat,

One of the best features you can do for free, is to lett folks use your property. Coons causing problems, let a coon hunter go in. Trappers are getting fewer and farther between. Several coworkers used to trap for free, most of them now trap for a fee. Possibly trading trapping for a last season hunt on your land. You may gain a local ally to keep an eye out on the land too.

I have no personal experience, but from what I have seen and heard, it's very expensive. Hear a fair share of complaints too. Maybe stemming from the cost. Employees and equipment is not cheap.

Besides habitat consultants, there are foresters that not only have your bottom line in mind, but your interests in hunting too. They can haggle some of your logging money for land improvement, like stump clearing, trail making, or removing undersired trees for firewood.

Sturgis didn't respond to an inquiry from me last year and I'm in the same state as him.

To be quite honest, he is the one guy I would avoid. He has really made a "brand" for himself, more so than any other habitat person I'm aware of. This means he is almost certainly overpriced and overhyped. He also contradicts himself in his videos and often seems to have a smug attitude, both of which make me not trust him.

That is a good channel

So to challenge that logic to some degree; wouldn’t a a guy like Jeff/WHS be the best consultant due to having the most client
Experience? Not posing this to be jerk; it’s a dialogue I’ve had in my own head as I am trying to select a consultant.

There is also a big fork in the road between the deer-centric and conservation based camps.

Well McDonalds sells the most hamburgers giving them the most experience but are they the best burger?

Some of these consultants have a template design. They come to your property with a generic checklist and check off the hinge, deer bed, mock scrape, clover type boxes. The red flag here is, if they don't have a conversation ahead of their visit and ask you lots of questions (and answer yours) then your just getting ground through the mill so they can collect a check.

For me, a pre-visit discussion is a must. If you can get a skeleton aerial review that is even better, this gives you a chance to see what their approach is, how they read the land and their knowledge of deer behavior, and get comfortable with them.

To be quite honest, he is the one guy I would avoid. He has really made a "brand" for himself, more so than any other habitat person I'm aware of. This means he is almost certainly overpriced and overhyped. He also contradicts himself in his videos and often seems to have a smug attitude, both of which make me not trust him.
Yes, I'm happy he didn't respond in hind sight.

He’s a goon. Not one to be taken seriously

Well McDonalds sells the most hamburgers giving them the most experience but are they the best burger?

Some of these consultants have a template design. They come to your property with a generic checklist and check off the hinge, deer bed, mock scrape, clover type boxes. The red flag here is, if they don't have a conversation ahead of their visit and ask you lots of questions (and answer yours) then your just getting ground through the mill so they can collect a check.

For me, a pre-visit discussion is a must. If you can get a skeleton aerial review that is even better, this gives you a chance to see what their approach is, how they read the land and their knowledge of deer behavior, and get comfortable with them.

Can’t disagree with any of that. Good points.

It’s ironic how many praise the YouTube names but it’s based on free generic advice, not success or performance based accomplishments.

Have spoke to a few more and await a response from others. Not trolling but want the best for my blue collar budget. The leaderboard has Drumming Log and Whetstone… with a local group that offered a free on-site consult upcoming that sounds promising as well. Going to pull the trigger after that- will keep everyone apprised.

It’s ironic how many praise the YouTube names but it’s based on free generic advice, not success or performance based accomplishments.

Have spoke to a few more and await a response from others. Not trolling but want the best for my blue collar budget. The leaderboard has Drumming Log and Whetstone… with a local group that offered a free on-site consult upcoming that sounds promising as well. Going to pull the trigger after that- will keep everyone apprised.
Land and Legacy would probably get my money if I was looking for something like that. And, Dr. Craig Harper, most definitely.

Land and Legacy would probably get my money if I was looking for something like that. And, Dr. Craig Harper, most definitely.
Craig Harper could tell me to pave my entire place and I’d believe him. I agree about land and legacy, they seem to be on his same page but all they are doing is taking the teachings of the grand poobas like Harper and Strickland and Demaris and Lashley and telling someone what those guys have researched. Not a bad thing compared to a guy like strugis pulling nonsense out of you know what. I’m partial to the academics who study this stuff nearly every single day, these guys have forgotten more than most consultants know.

I’m just throwing this out because I think it needs to be said and nothing negative about your ideas. How do you know you need a consultant? What is your basis. if you convey to a consultant that you’d like to kill big bucks every few years, how do you know you can’t do that now as it sits? You have nothing to go by for deer movement, hunting, neighbors, pressure etc. I know places that can produce very nice deer just by hunting it right, no changes needed. Just my very humble opinion. Get a grip on the place first before you lay out cash for something you may or may not need. Don’t short change yourself on figuring things out yourself.

I’m just throwing this out because I think it needs to be said and nothing negative about your ideas. How do you know you need a consultant? What is your basis. if you convey to a consultant that you’d like to kill big bucks every few years, how do you know you can’t do that now as it sits? You have nothing to go by for deer movement, hunting, neighbors, pressure etc. I know places that can produce very nice deer just by hunting it right, no changes needed. Just my very humble opinion. Get a grip on the place first before you lay out cash for something you may or may not need. Don’t short change yourself on figuring things out yourself.

Solid points. No argument.

To be honest- I’m in a hurry as this was a big financial leap in a year when my local property (and hunting in general) was lackluster.
Also scared to make an error with efforts and right now the property is diverse but has easy ROI with adding food.
I’m anxious to tap into the potential.
Per a couple months of spilled corn and a few cams I have seen a couple decent bucks but nothing mature, so Im doubting that approach and would love some local insight supporting or educating my approach.

It’s always hard when you’re 6hrs away and starting at the end of December. That being said- the emotions are what is in the way. If it wasn’t mine and someone asked my thoughts from afar; I’d have no issues. We also know that it’s so much easier to build off what the deer are already doing than starting over.

Sadly Jeff is the only one who you could hire as Steve and Jim are doing “their own thing”. Love and agree with your take though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't hear about Jim.....he got out of the Habitat consulting Biz? I knew Steve did....(I think he is involved with one of the deer hunting magazines now). I know Steve still does some internet work as well as I see his posts on FB from time to time.

I didn't hear about Jim.....he got out of the Habitat consulting Biz? I knew Steve did....(I think he is involved with one of the deer hunting magazines now). I know Steve still does some internet work as well as I see his posts on FB from time to time.

Ward and Brauker (together) just started putting some YouTube videos out after a few year hiatus. Wards webpage and some YouTube commentary makes me pretty sure he’s not consulting right now.

Anyone with OnX should check it on the computer (not phone) … there is a beta of a new feature and you can guess what it is.

What a Christmas gift.
Is it still working? Doesn’t seem to be for me.

I’m in an area with Lidar data easily available. My state has online data that I can pull into Google Earth. I’ve also learned how to make hi-res contour maps easily QGis and export to Google Earth, which is super handy. With that said, I use OnX a lot, and hillshades in that app would be great.

I’m in an area with Lidar data easily available. My state has online data that I can pull into Google Earth. I’ve also learned how to make hi-res contour maps easily QGis and export to Google Earth, which is super handy. With that said, I use OnX a lot, and hillshades in that app would be great.

terrain x is for me - just click on it’s little mountain icon on the right side of the OnXhunt screen.

Google earth playing is as good as it gets for me beyond onX. would like to hear more on QGis

terrain x is for me - just click on it’s little mountain icon on the right side of the OnXhunt screen.

Google earth playing is as good as it gets for me beyond onX. would like to hear more on QGis

What I was afraid of. I just get a white screen when I click on TerrainX. I'm on a Mac, so maybe that's why.

QGis is free. Just download and install. Watch videos on how to view hillshade maps and make contour maps and there are plenty of Youtube vids. The tricky part is getting the data to start with. For me, I've gotten it from 2 spots. https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/ and https://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/GDGOrder.aspx

If you click "map layers" on OnX desktop version, then go to "Land and Access" then enable "slope angle".

I believe that's what you're looking for?

If you click "map layers" on OnX desktop version, then go to "Land and Access" then enable "slope angle".

I believe that's what you're looking for?

No it’s actually the little mountain looking icon on the right side of the screen
423292c7847057a21312847839a7ba4c.jpg

FSA Ariel Flight maps has some LiDAR. And NRCS soil website has pretty recent maps.