Growing Spruce with Seeds

greekfreak

5 year old buck +
I had an interesting thought and now plan to attempt to grow spruce trees on my own. I plan on building a little nursery and using 1 gallon pots to start. I have read about scarification and soaking them in water etc. etc. however there is not a whole bunch of info out there on this topic. I ordered about 1000 seeds. I only plan on doing 50 to start. If i could get 50 down then add to it from there I probably could have some nice 2-3 year old trees in a few years.

Has anyone ever experimented?

Seeds cost me $25. Pots cost me about $30. Figure soil and maybe some fertilizer all said and done I should end up cheaper then buying those bigger trees. I hope.

I collected thousands of norway spruce seeds this winter from the trees in my front yard. I cut the cones off the trees and put them in buckets by my wood stove for a couple weeks until they opened nicely. Then knocked them in an empty bucket to release the seed. Stored the seed in ziplocs on my back enclosed porch until a few weeks ago. Then spread the seeds in flats on a bed of soil and covered them. This is my first try. I'll have to transplant at some point obviously.

Attachments

• 20220323_153417.jpg
    20220323_153417.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220323_153424.jpg
    20220323_153424.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220115_122807.jpg
    20220115_122807.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 47
My 4 year old blue spruces are about 4-5ft tall and loaded with cones. Could send you a USPS box stuffed with them if you like......

I collected thousands of norway spruce seeds this winter from the trees in my front yard. I cut the cones off the trees and put them in buckets by my wood stove for a couple weeks until they opened nicely. Then knocked them in an empty bucket to release the seed. Stored the seed in ziplocs on my back enclosed porch until a few weeks ago. Then spread the seeds in flats on a bed of soil and covered them. This is my first try. I'll have to transplant at some point obviously.
So you used regular soil for your test? I read soiless is the best route. Will you transplant into regular soil too?

I just used potting soil. Will probably use a mix of potting and top soil when I transplant just because I have a pile of top soil. I have to decide what pots to put them in.

I just used potting soil. Will probably use a mix of potting and top soil when I transplant just because I have a pile of top soil. I have to decide what pots to put them in.
It looks like it’s working out well!

Are these outside? Direct sunlight? Is it still cold where you’re at? Are they inside? So many questions.

I was just reading and it looks like top soil is a bad idea. I'll have to look into that closer. Needs to have good drainage.
These are in a heated garage (at work), direct light through the windows. I had a clear plastic cover over them to start.

Good stuff Teeder, I always love seeing this use of local resources!

Great job bud!!

I started some blue spruce from seeds when I was about 13 years old. I had them in a wooden box on wheels and would roll them in the cold garage over winter. After two summers of growth, my Dad wheeled them under the tractor for the winter. The radiator leaked and that ended that story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good. It inspired me to collect cones last night and spread them in a few spots I need cover from the road at camp.

I collected a total of 3 bags of seed. Gave one to my brother to spread at his place. I spread a bag at my hunting property and then put the other in these flats. Really hope to get some coming up naturally, but not holding my breath.

I know I have spruce trees in my yard as well and I debated trying to collect some seeds now after seeing your success. From these photos would you have any idea what variety of spruce this tree is? If I need to I can get some actual photos of the tree. Its roughly 40' tall with a split trunk about 6' up. I question its integrity at times being it splits.
1648844533831.png
1648844595841.png
1648844643069.png

I'm not sure.
The cones on my Norways are 4-6".

I know I have spruce trees in my yard as well and I debated trying to collect some seeds now after seeing your success. From these photos would you have any idea what variety of spruce this tree is? If I need to I can get some actual photos of the tree. Its roughly 40' tall with a split trunk about 6' up. I question its integrity at times being it splits.
View attachment 42066
View attachment 42067
View attachment 42068
Sure look like my blue spruces. More mature trees get more green than blue. Could be silver spruce though. cones are spot on for my spruces. They're only 4 years old and 4 or 5ft tall.

Ill take some pics of it tonight. It doesn't look like other blue spruces around, maybe its older though.

we got alot better spruce experts here, but the color of the spruce is the underneath side of the needles, not necesarily the top of it. MY in-laws have monster ones next door. My moms blue spruce are ontop of a flower bed, so theyre well fertilized and watered. Her's got a tinge of blue altough being about 50 years old.

I finally remembered to take some pictures of the tree in my yard. Does this help anyone identify it?

IMG_4084.jpgIMG_4083.jpg