Groundhog scope shopping tips?

Frosted brassica

5 year old buck +
How many of you have more groundhogs show up when deer hunting than when groundhog hunting?

Have used a Nikon 3-9x40 active target bdc on a .223. The little circles don’t seem so precise to me. I want to use something with more magnification and a clearer reticle. I have only ever used duplex style but am open to a few dots on the vertical wire.

What power and what reticle have you liked for 300 yard groundhog hunting?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Happy Holidays

My experience is from my years of prairie dog shooting. My guns have Nikon Monarchs on them. 4-16 & 5-20s with bdc's and nikoplex. I actually love them both. Some guys just don't like the bdc. No problem with long range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My experience is from my years of prairie dog shooting. My guns have Nikon Monarchs on them. 4-16 & 5-20s with bdc's and nikoplex. I actually love them both. Some guys just don't like the bdc. No problem with long range.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I have never used over 9 so I didn’t want to get too much scope not knowing.

Check out the Leupold VX 3i's 4.5 x 15 CDS's. The CDS line of scopes allow you to tailor your round to the scope, range the ground hog, dial the yardage, hold dead on and shoot.

Last edited:
I like Leupolds and run several 4.5x14 and 6.5x20 Vari X III models. Great value and you can find them on the secondary market. I would also recommend that you look into similar magnification Vortex scopes.