Grit & oyster shell station for grouse and other birds

SD51555

5 year old buck +
My land is all clay. There is no gravel anywhere other than yards and road shoulders for probably at least a mile. I decided to pick up a bag of grit and oyster shell while at the man's mall. Any idea if I get them out in a place the birds will cross it's path naturally that they'll get some benefit out of it? Any advice on how much I should put out? I've got 50 lbs of each, and I'd like to squeeze it out to three spots if possible.

Either put it where you've seen them, put it out with some bait, or just put it out and assume if they need it they'll find it.

Sprinkle it around and then plant rye or oats hoping they won’t touch it. They’ll flock to it. Works with turkeys anyway…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse like to feed on clover growing on logging roads adjacent to thick cover, so maybe add a pile in a location like that if you have one. I don't think it will make a noticeable difference in the grouse population, but it can't hurt.

Grouse like to feed on clover growing on logging roads adjacent to thick cover, so maybe add a pile in a location like that if you have one. I don't think it will make a noticeable difference in the grouse population, but it can't hurt.
I had really good grouse activity the past few years with all the sky busting I did with my chainsaw. I didn't see much for grouse last year. I just want to see more while I'm in the blind. Helps the time go by when there aren't deer around to look at. I did kick up one group of 5 this summer, so maybe they're still around.

I need to get back on the saw this winter. I didn't do anything last winter because I was way out in front of the deer on browse. Now my older clear cut spots are pushing 10' and taller, so there needs to be a new shot of fresh food as the older ones begin to age out of browse and into high stem cover.

I don’t know anything about grouse but the turkeys come to grit like a deer come to a pile of corn.

I haven't put a grouse up in atleast 10 years. So much for PA's state bird. They're more interested in adding predators.

I’ve got a herd of turkeys too. Maybe I need to put this away from the food plot. Don’t need them destroying everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grouse are very territorial. Likely more than bucks. You will likely need a spot for every 5 acres or so. Some grouse in the right habitat huddle to as little as 2 acres of land.

I'd place them in one of 2 possible areas. In northern NY grouse love birches, anywhere there is an added plus. I'd put them by open area tree camera spots, just so you get them on camera. Or alongside ATV trails. I'd cut down some small spruce or dense branched tree and make a pile, much like rabbit hunters like to do. IF the clay is heavy enough, making a dust pile is a good idea too. Likely see more turkey in it.

Folks villianize predators. However, turkeys and red squirrels are the grouses biggest enemies. They go for the eggs. Ferrets can be an issue to, ermines, mink, and so on. They just love eggs. Racoons don't want the hassle of fighting off a grouse for their eggs. Too many other easy meals out there.

Grit

I see grouse all the time. I can tell you from first hand experience they like to eat crabapples. Maybe plant some on the north edge of your plots and edge feather some of the garbage trees around there to get them good sunlight and a place for the grouse to roost. They like the thick shit. I've kicked up dozens bushwacking through the thick shit in the Chippewa National Forrest. I see them all the time hunting on my land. I think they are cleaning up random leftover choke cherry, beaked hazel nuts, maybe some acorns.

I'd like to eventually plant another 2 dozen crab apples to go with the 18 I have now. Also gonna release and baby a bunch of choke cherry I found. They really go for that leftover fruit.

IMG_2566.JPGIMG_2567.JPGIMG_2569.JPG

Last edited: