grafting ???

huntall

5 year old buck +
I know nothing at all about grafting , but I am thinking about giving it a try.
several years ago I bought two pear trees from local box store and one turned out great and one turned out to be some sort of ornamental pear. It's growing great, but only dime size pears. I will get pictures of the tree Thursday

The question is on a tree that is like maybe 2-3 inches diameter or more what is the best way to graft? Do you cut the tree off at waist high and graft or what's the best way on one this big?

Like I said...I know nothing at all about grafting so dont laugh too much if I ask a dumb question. Your Pictures probably help me understand lol

From the researching I found this one that crazyEd did.
This is probably what I need to do right?

I have an old pear tree that my grandmother planted many, many years ago, and its starting on the down hill now and im going to try to use that for my scion wood. I would love to keep that pear going!

doing this kind of grafting do i need to wait till the tree starts to come out of dormancy before grafting?

There are tons of good videos on line. As SM pointed out use a cleft or rind graft. I normally start as the trees start to bud out.

There are tons of good videos on line. As SM pointed out use a cleft or rind graft. I normally start as the trees start to bud out.

Thanks...I just looked at a couple cleft graft videos and that helpes a lot!

Thanks...I just looked at a couple cleft graft videos and that helpes a lot!
I would try to bark/rind graft first. I think it's easier. I've never not had one not take. The key is to match cambium to cambium. Also make smooth straight cuts and get the scion cut all the way into the rind cut, then seal them good. You don't want your cut wood to not be sealed w/ a sealant or wax.

Don't be surprised how quickly they take off. These grew over 15' in three years! Good luck!DSCN1830.JPG

I also have native persimmons growing all over, but not many that are female. Would be great to graft a few of my persimmons.

Also would like to graft fuyu persimmon on native persimmon root stock.

From the researching I found this one that crazyEd did.
This is probably what I need to do right?

Like Maya said, this method of Grafting is very easy. It was my first attempt and I had great results. The nice thing is depending on the size of your tree (root), if it's bigger like mine, i had 3 chances here. So if one didn't take, I still had 2 others. If you look below I had 3 different trunks and I put 3 scions/stick of bud wood on each stump. They all went pretty crazy and once they get a little larger I will take out the other tree behind it and try to shape this tree so it doesnt just become a huge bush.

image20140920180201294.jpg

I wanted to try this last year, but never did the research on how to.
I cant remember exsactly how big the trunk is. I think it may be big enough for three scions but I will get pis thursday and see what it looks like now.

All I know is I was successful at grafting so it must be easy.

All I know is I was successful at grafting so it must be easy.
good deal!! Yall making me feel better about trying it!

this is the pear tree that im wanting to graft onto. its 4 inches across.
Still sound good for three scion with bark rind graft right?

Yep, that should take off nicely if you grafted it.