Grafting Update

Wow my best grafts in 2015 do not have near that height. Holy smokes Paul is this just a crazy aggressive grower variety or is this just a freak happenstance?
ve

I have about 4 different varieties that grew that height but within the same variety I didn't get that much growth on other grafts. I think its a function of when planted and how well it was grafted. Some take off and some don't. No matter what though I am happy I can get what I got to this point Makes me feel good

ve

I have about 4 different varieties that grew that height but within the same variety I didn't get that much growth on other grafts. I think its a function of when planted and how well it was grafted. Some take off and some don't. No matter what though I am happy I can get what I got to this point Makes me feel good

Well yeah it should, if we didn't revel in the success of a graft why would we do it? :)

I can't wait to see how the ones that took are doing, my success % was low last year, I hope to reverse that trend.

My success rate 2015 over 2014 wasn't much better if at all. I am just too impatient most times LOL I think 70 to 75 % Key is saving the rootstocks on the failures assuming its the rootstock didn't fail

View attachment 8384 Line of my 2014 grafts

They look great Paul! So a select few are for wild life that you've planted but most are at least intended for human consumption? I can't imagine when I have 80 trees all producing, what in the sam hill am I gonna do with all that fruit? HAHAH!

What is the majority of the rootstocks you have in tact. How many trees do you have?

Actually all my apples are for human consumption but I do Let the deer get some. Same problem I have what to do with all the apples

RE : post #20 - - Also hoping for a gradual warm-up. No early heat to trigger blossoms. Those early warm-ups and then a freeze just ruin an anticipated good crop year. Takes the wind out of my sails !!:(

Last edited:
Hey Corey I see you are from NH and I received scions from a guy up there who has Pups Cidery . He sent me 2 varieties that are from NH one called Milden and another called Pups Jeanette. I also got some other scions from him ....Zabergau, Michelin and Sherrington Norman all of which he uses in his cider. He sells his cider mostly in NH and was wondering if you ever heard of it. His name is Rick Stadnik and here is the link to his site which is not great but has his contact info and location. I was visiting friends there one time in Amherst and called there to see if they had a tasting room which they didn't but we got to talking and he offered me the scionwood which I took and I have successfully grafted all varieties he gave me and the scions were huge and grew like crazy last year. Just FYI
Hadn't heard of them, thanks for the info

On my way to Cummins to pick up my rootstock. If anyone is sending me scion wood I am ready for it !!!!!!! Can't wait. I ordered 25 but that could change once I get there lol.