Grafting multiple scions

nwmn

5 year old buck +
I've got a few apple trees with failed scionwood due to deer/rabbit browse last winter. THis summer they put off a bunch of growth from the rootstock. What type of grafting should I do to the branches of the rootstock and create a frankenstein apple tree? Is this possible? I'm trying to think of ways to get it to work, as I was thinking of just letting the rootstocks go and plant them as they are, but feel like I can do some creative stuff with my failed attempts in the past. Thoughts?

Others will hopefully chime in, but I have this same situation.

My plan is to either (a) prune to a single central leader and let the tree grow into a b.118 (or whatever rootstock you're using) tree, or (b) prune to a central leader and graft to that leader.

The first approach would be to bud graft to the failed graft in late summer.

To produce a Frankentree, I'd suggest treating it like a regular tree and prune for central leader and good structure. Once you have your branches where you want them, start grafting.

The first approach would be to bud graft to the failed graft in late summer.

To produce a Frankentree, I'd suggest treating it like a regular tree and prune for central leader and good structure. Once you have your branches where you want them, start grafting.

You could either do that, OR you could let one of your branches become your central leader and then bark or cleft graft. I switched over about 6 big box trees to DR varieties this year. The trees were about 2 or 3 years old. I cut the trunk down as far as I could while leaving one branch, then I bark grafted.