Grafting Adhesive......

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
So I'm gonna use plumbers tape for my wrap as its really stretchy and will work great.

my question is the sealant part, grafting wax comes in BIG quantities and it's just to much. Bees wax is a good option but you need to have it warming as your using it, then could be a hurdle. Any other ideas?

I just use Gulf wax from Amazon. I heat mine up in a double boiler. Then dip the graft in there when complete. This is how i do it since I dont have an electric hot pad to warm this up.

IMG_9913.CR2.jpg

IMG_9916.CR2.jpg

Last edited:
Or use old pan and fill with water and put on stove. The wax won't dry too quickly

How much of the graft do you seal in wax? Just the graft itself, or the whole scion AND the actual graft?? You don't put any wax on the rootstock at all, correct ??

I basically just dunk the whole tip and seal the entire wound after it has been taped. So 5-6 ". Once the buds come to life they just poke through the wax. Just one real quick dip.

I dip however much of the scion and rootsock will fit into the container of wax. I use basically the same set up as Crazy Ed has pictured, except electric burner. It is not necessary to include the stem of the rootstock below the graft, but doesnt hurt anything if it does. Remember wax is highly flammable!

IMG_0598.jpg or you can just do the tip of the scion where you cut it from the rest of the scion piece after grafting. I do both depending on how much wax is melted and it works both ways but dont leave it in the hot wax too long or I guess it could damage the buds. Here is all I use to graft. The water bath on the wax in the can helps keep the wax from getting too hot. NOTE!!!!! DONT USE YOUR WIFES GOOD POTS OR YOUR $%^&* MAY GET A PRUNING!!!!!!

Last edited:
Lol, check on the good pots, good call! :)

Why do you guys lather most of the scion in wax (dipping) and not just the end where the graft is?

Lol, check on the good pots, good call! :)

Why do you guys lather most of the scion in wax (dipping) and not just the end where the graft is?

A quick dip in my case is faster than using a paint brush. Plus you are sealing the area where the grafting cuts are with another layer to prevent moisture loss.

Is the wax better than the asphalt based sealants?

Is the wax better than the asphalt based sealants?
IMO depends on the grafting location, indoors vs the nursery or orchard. Wax rules indoors, one of the other sealants for outside, just for ease of application purposes.

I would be doing my grafting out in the orchard so I didn't think wax would be practical.

For those who have used treekote on grafts, do you just paint it over the graft itself or paint the whole scion tip?? If the graft is not a cut-off piece of scion ( it's a terminal end ) would you cover the whole end or just the graft with treekote??

I paint the graft union where taped and dab the tip if cut