Got most of my plots planted

tinytim

5 year old buck +
I worked a couple extra days so that when the weather cooperated i could take a day and work on plots, Friday was that day. I had plowed this a few weeks ago but it has been wet ever since, it dried up enough that i could get to it with the disc. My wife enjoys planting the plots, so she joined me for the day and we got to work. This one got oats and clover with a strip of kale and turnip up the middleDSCN0322.JPG
This one got oats and clover on one side, buckwheat/oats/sunflowers on the other, i will plow that under and plant brassica's at the end of july, my wife likes to hunt on top of this hill, so i will try to make it as attractive as possible for the fall It had been a clover mix that had ran out of steam the last couple years and didn't respond to frost/overseeding the way i had hoped. It went as hard as concrete. I keep liming and plowing under green manures to try and build the soils, but it is a long road.DSCN0328.JPG
I had that sinking feeling when i started on the roadway plot, still way to wet to do anything with.DSCN0332.JPG
This plot is in front of camp, i planted oats and clover in this area. I am glad i didn't plow down most of this, it is really greening up nicely, this is the most successful come back of clover i have had, and the chicory is starting to grow too. there has been some nibbling but most of the deer around here are hanging out beside a 50 acre alfalfa field about 1.5 miles away that is really started to grow. They will soon disperse to the surrounding woods, i am hoping they all come my way.DSCN0336.JPG DSCN0341.JPG DSCN0339.JPG DSCN0337.JPG
I think i timed it pretty good this year, we did this Friday, it rained Friday night into Saturday, nice gentle rain. Sunny yesterday afternoon and now it raining again, showers tomorrow, then sun until Friday when they say rain again, hope to see green in a couple of weeks in time for the fawns to start dropping.

Keep updating your pics. I just finished my first plot Sunday, been working on it for over a month (weed control and lime). I just checked it out and I have a little action starting with my clover. I planted durana, crimson and ladino clover. Then I planted a 6 ft wide row of buckwheat and sorghum on the right edge for some cover and to create an edge . The rain has been killing us here in W.V.uploadfromtaptalk1463622663777.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1463622759301.jpegThis is a pic after I leveled up the area and cleared all of the brush.

Looking good guys!

Nice work, are your planting dates way ahead of us in the Midwest? I only ask because it would be really early here to plant kale and turnips. Where I am I would be thinking more Late July/Early August.

Clover can be frost planted. My friends usually aim for all of the summer plots to be planted by the 2nd week of May. Our gardens are always planted by the end of May.

bd6b2bf51d2fe6bb8118e161fd318a80.jpg
bd525e57aad3a62698eff3d655e43f4a.jpg

My buckwheat, sorghum, and clover are doing well. I'm going to wait a little longer before I do any weed control.