All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a little work done before trees arrive

Ogemaone

5 year old buck +
Headed up to the cabin on Thursday. I have 20 crab apples trees coming in a few weeks so I thought I would get some prep work done. Got all 20 cages cut, bought all my pea gravel, top soil, and manure. Also cut all the weed mating for each tree. Should save quite a bit of time when the trees show up. Also built a raspberry patch for my daughter. I have 15 raspberry plants coming with my trees. Here's a few pics.
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! Nothing like preparation to make things smoother in the long run.

Always nice to get a head start.

Preparing to plant 25 trees here. Cut 400 ft of welded wire into 16'8" sections and cut up a 100' roll of landscape fabric into 4'x4' sections with a slit in middle for tree. Also cut up wire closet hangers to use as staples for the fabric. Question - I have never used pea gravel before. How much to order per tree? Bagged or bulk? Thanks in advance!!!

I
Preparing to plant 25 trees here. Cut 400 ft of welded wire into 16'8" sections and cut up a 100' roll of landscape fabric into 4'x4' sections with a slit in middle for tree. Also cut up wire closet hangers to use as staples for the fabric. Question - I have never used pea gravel before. How much to order per tree? Bagged or bulk? Thanks in advance!!!

I just put a 50 bag worth around the tree. I buy the bags at Menards.

Heck of a start, always good to prep. Where did you order your raspberries from?

Heck of a start, always good to prep. Where did you order your raspberries from?

I have apple trees coming from Woodstock nursery so I got the raspberry plants from them as well.

Red raspberries?

12 red raspberry of 2 different styles, 6 of each, and 3 black raspberry. All rated for zone 3.

6 boyne red raspberry
6 Latham red raspberry
3 Blackhawk black raspberry

I have Heritage, Autum Britten, Royaly, and Latham at my place. Latham are my favorite so far.