good sources for seed, 2015

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
Now that snowmobile season is coming to a close, it is time for me to get my plotting plans in high gear, and I see by a stroke of sour luck, I am going to need a lot of seed this spring.

Brings me to the trouble I am having, I know i want sunn hemp, I know I want big and beasty brasica, I just can't seem to find them at a price point that says "Hey, buy them here" the hemp seed especially seems costly.

I know there are deals to be found, last year I found a heckuva deal on blue lupine seed, was I looking for it? no, just found it, and bought 10 pounds, going to make one heckuva pretty plot mixed with crimson clover, and maybe mammoth red for a bit of longevity.

so, if anyone finds a great deal on a seed, I'd like to have a thread dedicated to good deals on seed, and post em up, maybe if enough folks link up good deals, the thread could get a sticky for the year.

How did the lupine do?

Lupine was ordered early, but came in late as they had none in stock, lupine will be going in as soon as the plot is workable.

Lupine is usually planted in the fall.

good to know, thanks.

I think I bought Sunn Hemp from here last year...I think I got the 50# bag due to the fact that shipping was the same as for the 25# bag and it was 40% off. I would love to try it again, I didn't give it a good chance to succeed last year due to wet spring.

https://hancockseed.com/seed-varieties-241/sunn-hemp-seed-516/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6OOoBRDP9uG4oqzUv7kBEiQA0sRYBLlhlYfaZNitcLLs1cU4VbUnfSbPaKIc1f1D4zrIwE4aArW-8P8HAQ

so that is all we have? no other suggestions, come on, I'm not going to strip yur source bare I just need a acre of sunn, maybe three acres of big n beasty, possibly an acre or two of alfalfa......

Pretty sure this guy in MN does shipping, I think he has a wide variety of brassicas, not sure on sunn hemp or alfalfa. Prices were pretty good when I checked last year, but no sure how they are with shipping added on.
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/4938491521.html

I have bought most of my seed at our local coop at pretty good prices.

My local co op has earned my business as they have every possible seed a food plotter would need. Winter peas/oats/winter rye/radish/ptt/all clover/chicory/alfalfa.

I would start at a co op and check prices. For only a few acres it's probably the cheapest route.

I will have to see what I can figure out for a local co op in New Jersey.

Great customer service. My order often appears in my newspaper box.
I always do like to spend money with the small businessman.

Pretty sure this guy in MN does shipping, I think he has a wide variety of brassicas, not sure on sunn hemp or alfalfa. Prices were pretty good when I checked last year, but no sure how they are with shipping added on.
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/4938491521.html

I have bought most of my seed at our local coop at pretty good prices.

I would use whoever a guy is comfortable with. Lets face it, its food plot seed. No one will go broke buying it anywhere!

But this guy seems to have it going on!;)
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/grd/4963234400.html

Are there different varieties of black oil sunflower seed or could I use the harvested seed that my buddy's dad grows west of Bemidji?

you could use his seed, just do a germination test to see how well it will come up.

Left a message with a seedway rep today, will see what insight he provides. Really gotta find a good forage alfalfa that will be resistant to having its crown frost heaved out of the clay based soils I am dealing with.

you could use his seed, just do a germination test to see how well it will come up.

Left a message with a seedway rep today, will see what insight he provides. Really gotta find a good forage alfalfa that will be resistant to having its crown frost heaved out of the clay based soils I am dealing with.

Find me that also, and we could both be rich people.

Lots of guys around my area are fearing the worst from this past winter.

seedway rep said no such luck with a higher clay soil, it will push and push till the alfalfa gives in. sand is your friend here.

some good deals in there! thanks !!

thank you, I'm gonna print those pages.