Goldrush Apples

b116757

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any experience with these apples a buddy at work buys them from some local fruit nazi. He really loves them from the limited reading on them I’ve done they are susceptible to cedar apple rust but my question is just how susceptible are they. I have a Haralson apple tree that gets spots but it doesn’t seem to really hurt the tree much. I also had a couple Honeycrisp trees that the cedar apple rust pretty much killed anything above the graft. So anyone have any first hand experience with Goldrush?

It depends on where you live friend. Most of our Northern members have no problem at all growing Goldrush. Here in CAR Hell, it doesn't do so great.

eZLzoh7.jpg

I don't get much CAR in my orchard (knock on apple wood) but my Shizuka is susceptible and it gets some, the Goldrush a little more.

Last edited:
Thanks native hunter and professor I have lots of CAR so I guess I’ll pass on Goldrush

The apples I refer to on here are grown at our hunting camp in northern Pa. We're isolated and so we have no CAR problems ( so far! ) because there are no members of the juniper family ( Eastern red cedar) near us for miles. We're lucky in our location. Goldrush IS resistant to scab, FB, and mildew.

As for an eating apple - It's my favorite that I've ever tasted !!!! Taste is subjective, I realize, but it's a complex flavor - tart, tangy, spicy, juicy, but with a good sweetness too. NOT like a Honeycrisp sweet. It's a crisp apple too - not soft or mushy. Snappy-crisp. My whole family LOVES them. We buy ours locally from an orchard a few miles away. Ripens in November here.

It’s my favorite tasting apple, even right off the tree. Haven’t yet had CAR problems, just a few spots. Going to graft a few more this spring if I get around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the maximum northern limit for Goldrush to be useful as a deer apple? Would northern Michigan be too far north?

If I was in the UP I’d probably give it a try depending on where you are and protection the big lakes give you it may be fine. It’s I believe rated zone 5-8 but there is usually a bit a flexibility in the zone ratings and local conditions.

What's the maximum northern limit for Goldrush to be useful as a deer apple? Would northern Michigan be too far north?
both mine died their first winter. I am 3b/4

I have a few of them in the ground, but not much age on them yet. Here's a pic of 1 of my oldest, probably age 5. Pic is dated 7/14. We have lots of humidity and cedars, including right on top of that orchard. Leaves definitely get spotted but nothing as extreme as NH's up above.

20210714_163647.jpg

both mine died their first winter. I am 3b/4

Just the Goldrush part, or the rootstock as well?

I have a few of them in the ground, but not much age on them yet. Here's a pic of 1 of my oldest, probably age 5. Pic is dated 7/14. We have lots of humidity and cedars, including right on top of that orchard. Leaves definitely get spotted but nothing as extreme as NH's up above.
Looks pretty good. I hope you get those apple to ripen for you - they do here around Nov. 5th to 10th. Taste is incredible !

Just the Goldrush part, or the rootstock as well?
Just the gold rush part. Died down to the graft. I have two P.18 trees growing in their spot

My deer-dirt is in Michigan, latitude 43 degrees, south central Michigan farm country. I have one Goldrush on emla7. I'd have to look at the tag but I'm guessing tonight that it is about 8yrs old (in the ground. Probably a 2-0 graft when I got it).

It is starting to be a good cropper and the fruit is hanging late in my latitude. I looked at it yesterday, and I'd say 80+% of it's October fruit load is still on the tree.

CAR has not been a problem....to date.....on any of my trees. The Goldrush is susceptible to sooty-blotch, but hell, all of my yellow apples are as I don't spray for beauty.

CAR has not been a problem....to date.....on any of my trees. The Goldrush is susceptible to sooty-blotch, but hell, all of my yellow apples are as I don't spray for beauty.
If you don't have any red cedars or other members of the juniper family near your apple trees, you shouldn't have CAR problems. Sooty blotch is on a number of our apples here too. That and fly speck. Deer don't care, and I've eaten such apples for years. Sooty blotch and fly speck don't seem to affect the fruit growth at all. They just aren't "pretty."

Have you tasted any of your Goldrush apples yet?? When I cut up a Goldrush apple from a camp tree a few years ago so a few guys could try it, they all said "OMG - what kind of apple is THIS? That's a damn good apple!!!" We have 4 Goldrush planted at camp. We may need more based on members' taste tests. Deer might have a tough time getting any!!!

I plan on grafting some into an unsprayed tree at some point to see how they do with CAR in my area. I grafted some into a Northern Spy and the deer showed a very strong preference for Goldrush, hammering the one low branch. The few apples they missed were amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_8548.jpg
    IMG_8548.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 17
I plan on grafting some into an unsprayed tree at some point to see how they do with CAR in my area. I grafted some into a Northern Spy and the deer showed a very strong preference for Goldrush, hammering the one low branch. The few apples they missed were amazing.
If YOU liked Goldrush for eating, get your hands on some Crimson Topaz apples. Similar complex flavor like Goldrush. My wife isn't an apple fan really - but she LOVES Goldrush and Crimson Topaz. Crimson Topaz is also a DR apple. No surprise that the deer love Goldrush!

I was just at camp a few days ago, and our Goldrush trees were holding a good number of apples (they ripen starting around November 10th here). I tasted one from a tree and it was delicious - despite some blemishes.

If YOU liked Goldrush for eating, get your hands on some Crimson Topaz apples. Similar complex flavor like Goldrush. My wife isn't an apple fan really - but she LOVES Goldrush and Crimson Topaz. Crimson Topaz is also a DR apple. No surprise that the deer love Goldrush!

I was just at camp a few days ago, and our Goldrush trees were holding a good number of apples (they ripen starting around November 10th here). I tasted one from a tree and it was delicious - despite some blemishes.
[/QUrimson Topaz

Whats the drop time like on that crimson topaz? Do they hang pretty late for you?

Whats the drop time like on that crimson topaz? Do they hang pretty late for you?
We've only had a few produced at camp, (trees are young) and they were picked by members. I can tell you the ripening time in central Pa. - zones 6 & 7 - is right around October 15th. That's when the u-pick orchards start to allow Crimson Topaz picking. I've picked Crimson Topaz at a nearby (to my home) orchard and there were a few apples on the ground the 3rd week of October - but most still on the tree. The orchard near my home location in SE Pa. was still picking Crimson Topaz around the 10th of November. CT are known to be a late apple, so I would expect hanging until at least the early part of December to be realistic. I haven't gone to that commercial orchard to check how late theirs hang - and the trees at camp have only had a couple apples on them so far. My camp is at the border of zones 5 & 6 - colder than my home area. That's the best info I have personally to this point in time.

How does Crimsom Topaz far against CAR? I’ve decided against bothering with Goldrush do to poor CAR resistance is CT any better?