Golden Hornet Crab

I purchased 3 Golden Hornets on G222 from Cummins to be delivered in spring. Would you guys plant it below the graft and try to get a larger tree or leave it as is? Also, what are the risk of planting it below the graft?
Thanks

I think collar rot which may kill the tree, other thing is if it roots it likely will be standard. If you purchased 3 you could always plant one or two deep then plant the other normal as a scion tree for later.

I purchased 12 golden hornets on mm111 from Wafler Nursery in NY last week. They still had 29 available. I have ordered from there in the past and was very satisfied with quality and price. I live relatively close, so not sure if they ship.

Thanks for the lead, called and ordered 6 this morning. They have 19 left on M111 rootstock if anyone is looking. No issues with shipping.

Could someone tell me the zone map on this tree? I found about 100 trees today and need to see if they will work in my area

Since GH is a tree of UK origin, there really isn't much of a US zone rating available for them that I've found. I've got one growing here in 4a/3b that made it through last winter, but who knows if it will make it long term. Judging from your handle, I'm guessing you're from somewhere well south of here. I have zero idea how it'll do down there.
I live in south ms zone 8a if that helps anyone

Wafler is supposed to be holding 6 for me - to ship later on in spring. Thanks for the tip.

Orange Pippin says "temperate climate" for GH. Probably worth trying one or two down there, but I sure wouldn't plant a bunch of them without knowing how they'd do.

Find some orchards in your area and see what kind of crabs they're growing.

I think a lot of people get hung up on varieties that get discussed on forums like this. I've got a GH that I grafted because I want to see how it will do here, but I've got many other crabs grafted that grow wild in my area. I know those will do well here, so I have more of them.
I just found a bunch today at a wholesale store for $5 each. It's hard to pass them up if they will work here. I have wild crabs, Hewes, dozier, Calloway, transcendent and Calloway. Just looking to add something diffrent

Then buy them and plant them. You can become the southern expert on GH
I bought 1 today, guess I will go back and get a few more lol

Ya $5 a tree is cheap but it's more about room for me. I don't want to spend my time and space on something that won't work for me. I think I will go back and buy 4 more and see what happens

Not sure Stu this was posted elsewhere, i'm sure thats what your referring to though.

Bad news for anyone that ordered from Waflers ,I talked to them this am and they said they had a die off and won't have any golden hornets.They will be contacting anyone that did order recently

http://www.deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/golden-hornet-crabapple.1520/#post-27482

I didn't call but I just received my receipt and paperwork confirming my order of 6 Golden Hornets. It is dated 1/4/17 so I am hoping those reports of not having any Golden Hornets aren't accurate.

I didn't call but I just received my receipt and paperwork confirming my order of 6 Golden Hornets. It is dated 1/4/17 so I am hoping those reports of not having any Golden Hornets aren't accurate.

After I heard the reports I called them, and they told me that they had set aside 6 trees for me. So, I sent the deposit they asked for and will pay the rest when the trees are shipped later.

I had paid the deposit when I ordered and that was the receipt I received. Sounds like I probably have 6 coming also. I almost ordered 6 trees of another variety to replace these. Glad I didn't, I already have a lot of planting to do this spring. Glad I will get to give these a try, sounds like a neat crab.

Greyphase, is your golden hornet still holding anything or is it bare?

Grey - How big are the apples on the GH ?? I looked at a pic that Diesel posted a few pages back, and his look like 1" to 1 1/4" ?? Just wondering how yours compare.

Never mind. I just realized the pic I thought was Diesel's was, in fact, your pic he used in his post. It's good to know they hold fruit this long. We don't have a GH at camp - maybe I'll have to find room for one. A wise gent from Minn. once said on this forum, " ... there's always room for more apples... ". :D Stu ????

Last edited:
Well I called today and they did have 2 left so I got them.Bill had told me what i posted and things must have worked out better than he thought.Sorry for the mis information.He did state that they would need staked

Anyone know why they would need to be staked on mm111 rootstock? Shouldn't they produce a larger tree?

MM111 would be a larger tree and relatively slow to fruit so it shouldn't need to be staked. But nothing wrong with staking a young tree for a while.