Girdle protection

Not sure if any of you saw this post today, I can’t even imagine how devastating this would be!
39442EDF-EA53-4BD8-A38B-4FC8BD0A0AAC.jpegB6790DDF-92CC-406D-8CC8-DA082AAA1468.jpeg

^^^that's what not using rodenticides will get you

That’s a sad sight. I feel for them on that loss.

I feel for SLN, having learned that lesson the hard way some 25 years ago. Mice girdled a few of our oldest, biggest apple trees - which killed them. All our newer fruit trees were screened at planting. I hope Connor at SLN gets new trees grafted and protected.

Another reason to want hawks, owls, foxes, bobcats, snakes, and even some cats around. Mother Nature has a reason for all those mouse / vole-eating predators.

This is what we are doing right now to protect our trees that we are transplanting from our nursery. First we plant the tree, then add a 6’ x 6’ ground cloth stapled with 8” staples in each corner and side around tree for weed control. Then a piece of hardware cloth 18” tall is wrapped loosely around the base and submerged into the soil 2”. Then rocks are placed around the base of the hardware cloth to insure moles can’t get in. I then add a 6’ high cage of wire fencing that goes around the tree. Now I feel my tree is protected from rodents and deer.