All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gifted apple tree.

Brush Creek

5 year old buck +
A neighbor of mine gave me an apple tree from Gerten's Greenhouse in Inver Grove Heights. He had it for a while before he gave it to me. I planted it and before fall the top of the tree which looks like it was grafted was dead.

Should I try to graft a new trunk to the tree? Should I leave it alone? I don't know what kind of apple it was or what the rootstock is. I have five other apples I could use for grafting.

If you have never grafted before it sounds like a great candidate to learn on. It's "broke" so you can't really make it worse can you? Obviously this is if you want to screw with it. Just my 2 cents worth. I would rather learn something new on a tree that I can "afford to lose" than on one I fear to screw up and kill.

If you still have life above the graft Union at the base you should be able to establish a new central leader an prune accordingly

I haven't looked at it closely, but for some reason I thought only the grafted part was dead.