Genesis vs Great Plains drill video

Good vid, the greasing on the genesis closing wheels sounds terrible.

Last edited:
I watched this before getting my drill, and thought they did a good job—balanced without bashing one or the other. While their drills likely get 10 years of “normal” use in a year, what they are pointing out is what many drill owners do not understand the maintenance required to keep the drills working reliability. The regenerative movement and inflation have really moved the costs of drills up the past three years.

One thing about the vid to keep in mind, the configurations of each drill can vary quite a bit.

They use coulters in the genesis and had three seed boxes on the Great Plains. The coulter design on the genesis seems lousy but most foodplotters seem to prefer going without them anyway. That huge native seed box on the Great Plains seems like it could move center of gravity back quite a bit and make the drill even harder to handle on the 3 point.

Definitely one of the better videos I have found out there about these drills. I still haven't pulled the trigger on one, but this gives me more food for thought on not just the upfront cost, but the cost over time. For me, and I know many of you, downtime is costly time. Something is inevitably going to break and to be able to repair w/ reasonable time and effort is important. I liked their suggestions on proactively addressing some of those potential issues and the tips on maintenance.

Good video. We went with a Great Plains 606NT with the side wheels. I have used a 706NT for several years from our NRCS office and was familiar with it and Great Plains has been around a long time and are proven machines. I didn't see anything there that made me regret our decision. Initial price is the big hurdle on a Great Plains. Took us a few years to save up and buy one.

I enjoyed the video as well

thanks for posting

bill