All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Utility/ Hobby Farm Tractor???

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
Guys im getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a tractor and I have a few questions.

Im looking at a USED 50ish HP 4x4 with FEL and Snowblower. It will mainly be for planting and maintaining plots, trees, brush cutting, snow removal, and other odd jobs around the farm. I do have some smaller but steep hills so I really do want hydro trans. I will have some pull type attachments as well as 3 pt. My neighbor will be passing down to me a big 3 pt 4 row air drill for my corn and beans. Id also like to be able to move round bales.

Ive read through other posts on here but everything seems to be directed towards each persons individual situation. What else should I be considering? What are similar tractors you guys have used and recommend?

Lastly, in 6th grade english, whats the difference between 4x4 vs MFWD in a modern utility tractor? The Ups and downs??

Thanks for the help!

Swiffy

I’m following this one. I’m torn myself about whether to get a tractor or a diesel side by side. I’m in extremely hilly and rocky ground

A few questions so that others can better help.
Will stay at one location or likely trailer to other properties or to help friends?

Size of plots or mowing in approx acres? Hp drives size of implements

Assume loader is yes, so need for heavy load capability for your needs or more general? Think you said handle bales but can do that on 3 pt too

If you really want to use the loader alot, newer tractors with higher pump flows are ahead of the old stuff although the oldsters have more iron i.e. weight to help do work.

55 to 65 hp would be the range I would have liked but have one in low 40s. I trailer too much and back when purchased was not gonna upgrade trailer and truck to haul around and pay for tractor same time.

So like everyone has different brands and sizes of pickups, you are right about individual needs drive choices. Not even counting $$ in the equation yet.

Guys im getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a tractor and I have a few questions.

Im looking at a USED 50ish HP 4x4 with FEL and Snowblower. It will mainly be for planting and maintaining plots, trees, brush cutting, snow removal, and other odd jobs around the farm. I do have some smaller but steep hills so I really do want hydro trans. I will have some pull type attachments as well as 3 pt. My neighbor will be passing down to me a big 3 pt 4 row air drill for my corn and beans. Id also like to be able to move round bales.

Ive read through other posts on here but everything seems to be directed towards each persons individual situation. What else should I be considering? What are similar tractors you guys have used and recommend?

Lastly, in 6th grade english, whats the difference between 4x4 vs MFWD in a modern utility tractor? The Ups and downs??

Thanks for the help!

Swiffy

If you like fixing stuff then used could be a big value. Look for local farm papers and ask around for the local auction outfits. Otherwise a common answer on here is to find a convenient dealer to trust. Best is if you can go talk to the service guys about what they see needing service on the tractors they sell. A good tractor mechanic can help steer your decision.

MFWD means mechanical front wheel drive, pretty much the only thing you will see on utility tractors. There was a time Deere had hydraulic front drive, but mostly on the big boy tractors. I think everything is pretty much MFWD anymore.

A 50 hp tractor is a nice size. I have a 68hp and love it, 4x4, loader. It's a 90s model Deere with plenty of steel. Bought it used with a lot of hours from a farmer who used it exclusively to haul round bails up and down the road between a couple farms. I've had it since 2012 or 13 and haven't done anything but clean it and change the oil.

Only upgrade I would like is a cab, but I get by just fine with what I have.

A few questions so that others can better help.
Will stay at one location or likely trailer to other properties or to help friends?

Size of plots or mowing in approx acres? Hp drives size of implements

Assume loader is yes, so need for heavy load capability for your needs or more general? Think you said handle bales but can do that on 3 pt too

If you really want to use the loader alot, newer tractors with higher pump flows are ahead of the old stuff although the oldsters have more iron i.e. weight to help do work.

55 to 65 hp would be the range I would have liked but have one in low 40s. I trailer too much and back when purchased was not gonna upgrade trailer and truck to haul around and pay for tractor same time.

So like everyone has different brands and sizes of pickups, you are right about individual needs drive choices. Not even counting $$ in the equation yet.

Being able to trailer it would be nice but really not a must. I live on my 70 acres and thats where im going to use it and need it most. I plot about 6 acres on my property and could mow as much as 10 acres but mostly trail maintenance and plots.

Yes i want to handle bales but just to move them, i should never really need to lift them with a loader.

Theres a lot I "could" do if I had one so I guess the skys the limit there.

Thanks for the replies so far!

MFWD means mechanical front wheel drive, pretty much the only thing you will see on utility tractors. There was a time Deere had hydraulic front drive, but mostly on the big boy tractors. I think everything is pretty much MFWD anymore.

A 50 hp tractor is a nice size. I have a 68hp and love it, 4x4, loader. It's a 90s model Deere with plenty of steel. Bought it used with a lot of hours from a farmer who used it exclusively to haul round bails up and down the road between a couple farms. I've had it since 2012 or 13 and haven't done anything but clean it and change the oil.

Only upgrade I would like is a cab, but I get by just fine with what I have.

So look at tractors for sale, they are all advertised as 4x4 OR MFWD. So is there a difference? JD, Kubota, Mahindra, whatever... they are all advertised as one or the other. I dont understand?

So look at tractors for sale, they are all advertised as 4x4 OR MFWD. So is there a difference? JD, Kubota, Mahindra, whatever... they are all advertised as one or the other. I dont understand?

It's the same thing.

Not sure if you followed any of my previous posts about tractors. I just went through the shopping process myself. I went to every dealer within 30 min of my farm to see see/operate different tractors and interview the dealerships. Ultimately the closer your dealer the better off you’re going to be if work needs to be done on your tractor....so I would recommend starting with dealerships that are close to you, even if you’re going to buy used from a private party you will still want nearby support should you need it. I own a Kubota and have loved it but will be selling it now that I bought a new Massey (same dealership as the Kubota). I shopped JD, Case, Kubota and Massey, we those are my closest dealers. I think they all make nice tractors that you will be happy with, but your dealership experience can make a big difference.

I had the JD dealer spec out what I really wanted.... 3046R with a Cab, grapple....$45K. Hard to justify for the hours I would use it.

You can buy a lot of beef for that price !

The good news is that these tractors seem to hold their value pretty good. If you buy a good used one, you can recover most of your initial cost when you sell it, assuming you take good care of it too.

Last edited:
The good news is that these tractors seem to hold their value pretty good. If you buy a good used one, you can recover most of your initial cost when you sell it, assuming you take good care of it too.
This is true. I plan to recoup 90ish percent of what I paid for my Kubota 5.5 years ago. Basically rented a tractor for nearly 6 years for a couple thousand bucks or so.

Not sure if you followed any of my previous posts about tractors. I just went through the shopping process myself. I went to every dealer within 30 min of my farm to see see/operate different tractors and interview the dealerships. Ultimately the closer your dealer the better off you’re going to be if work needs to be done on your tractor....so I would recommend starting with dealerships that are close to you, even if you’re going to buy used from a private party you will still want nearby support should you need it. I own a Kubota and have loved it but will be selling it now that I bought a new Massey (same dealership as the Kubota). I shopped JD, Case, Kubota and Massey, we those are my closest dealers. I think they all make nice tractors that you will be happy with, but your dealership experience can make a big difference.

I have been following and thank you. I have JD, Kubota, Case, New Holland and a few others very close. Im sure its worth walking through the front door and seeing what they have to say. I wont buy new, I just dont have the money. But im more than happy and confident in a good used tractor.

You can buy a lot of beef for that price !

If you can find "beef" that can keep my driveway cleared on a winter like this, let me know!

I would check what the requirements are for that air drill. Depending on what it is your tractor requirements may be larger than you think. I know some folks that were sorely surprised by their tractors inability to pull implements.

I think what your looking at will be plenty of tractor for your needs. If you buy used it’s pretty easy to tell if it’s been abused. Look for low hours and a clean tractor when buying used. I bought a 10 year old Case for food plots and driveway work. I kept it 12 years and sold it for what I paid. Can’t beat that. Bought new JD and kept it 10 years. Sold it for what I paid. Go with a brand name so you can get parts, keep it in good shape and if you think you want something different down the road you’re not out much. Just fuel and oil.

Thanks for the advice!

I mighty be the odd guy out here, as I would personally be asking some HARD honest questions
like HOW many hours a yr do you really think your going to use this tractor
new is always nice, don't get me wrong, but I had and used a lot of tractors,
and have had a LOT of luck with older one's
I used to do 16 acres of plots, with a older 50 hp 1963 yr model 2 wheel drive tractor
pulled plows, disc's seeders, brush hog and back blade(no front end loader)
but had about 3500 info it, tan flawless with almost ZERO repairs in the 1800+ hours I put on it in 20 yrs or so and sold it for more than I paid for it! and is still running very strong
so IMO< if you buy a older one right, you get MANY perks, there NOT all nightmares and problems
my 1949 has unknown hours on it and it runs like a clock too, and these older tractors were BUILT a lot heavier than many of the new one's , and weight is your friend on a tractor!!
new one's are in the 20-50 hp range ?? are way more marketed towards hunters with deeper pockets than needs of a tractor LOL
they drove the prices of compact tractor up thru the ceiling, talk to any HONEST tractor deal thats been in business a while
NOT bashing hre, being honest
I been about tractors a LONG time, and prior to the food plot craze, these same tractors selling now for 40-50k were half this! and then some!

and I will bet my life on it, the odds of YOU fixing a older tractor , is very very high!
the odds of you fixing a NEW tractor, are very very LOW
there all made to go back to a dealer for repairs, and almost zero space to work on anything on them!
also IMO by design to make you NOT want to work on em!

old one,s were made to be worked on by uneducated farmers!
NO joke here! they were made SIMPLE and lots of room to get to most everything!

all the popular older models have NO shortage of parts available either and there LOVED my many due to the fact they lust plain WORK and last and are easy to fix IF needing anything!
so keep in mind, that old doesn't mean bad
and if your NOT going to be making money with your tractor, or adding a ton of hours to it, USED might be a much better route to go IMO
many trade up when they get grants and or need tax write off's
don't kid yourself that NEW means better
I know many farmers that bought tractors and things costing over a 100K and been nightmare problem child's with more more down time than run time!
be honest evaluate your NEEDS and use of a tractor
look at buying one as a investment, but not one that will be making you money!
so spend wisely! and don't get caught up in the "NEED NEW ONE!"

Have 7 running working older(65 to 42 years) tractors for less than one new 50HP utility tractor. Some impliments never come off some of them. Makes life a lot easier when not chasing impliments and rehitching. Go out and crank the herd every coupla weeks in the winter, longer in the summer.
All two wheel drive except an old fire breathing 353 Detroit skidder.......does a great job with rootrake or blade on trails or pull a few logs for winter or habitat blockades.
Not for everyone but keeps a smile on my face working the snot out of a old black smoke belching relic that has plenty of life left.
Older tractors require some taking care of but want to work and know how to......
Just a different view