Fruit Tree Window Screen Protection

Arrow P22 - simple and tough;

anybody ever come across a place to buy window screen in a bulk roll?

Amazon

Got something like a 3 foot by 100ft roll for under $100 bucks
Believe it was meant to be for poarch screening or something.

Don't think I will ever use it all.

I just bought a 48" wide x 50' for around $69 on amazon. I go for the taller stuff because of snow.

Charman - Do you have any "Surplus City's" around over there ?? I buy our screen at a Surplus City north of Williamsport. They have big bulk rolls that you can buy any amount of footage from. Different widths too. A 36" wide roll will give you 36" tall screen sleeves. I think they have 24", 30", 32", 36" and 48" widths.

Any reason to use the window screen over the spiral guards or a tree tube? I have had success with screen, but need to replace it now and was thinking of using somethig else...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Any reason to use the window screen over the spiral guards or a tree tube? I have had success with screen, but need to replace it now and was thinking of using somethig else...

No reason to switch to anything else.

The use of aluminium window screen when planting fruit trees is considered a best practice. Tubes are awful for fruit trees, I would rather not plant fruit trees than plant one in a tube. Spiral guards, meh. I have read about people who have had them fail, to me they seem unreliable.

How old are the trees you need to replace it on and what was the cause of failure or reason to replace? I have trees that are 8 years old that don't need replacing yet. Assuming it's aluminum (and not vinyl) and cut to a length that allows for years of growth, and it's stapled properly (so staples pop as the trees grow) I haven't had any fail on me yet to the point of needing to be replaced.

Charman - Do you have any "Surplus City's" around over there ?? I buy our screen at a Surplus City north of Williamsport. They have big bulk rolls that you can buy any amount of footage from. Different widths too. A 36" wide roll will give you 36" tall screen sleeves. I think they have 24", 30", 32", 36" and 48" widths.

I believe we do have one here, I'll check it out. I got some 36" at lowes last week and actually cut the 36" in half, so my screen is only 18" high. I just can't see mice and rabbits getting higher than that with minimal snow we get here

Trees are 4 years old. I started too snug and the trunk popped the staples loose last summer. I didnt see this until mid winter, so hopefully no rodent damage under the snow. I just put some zip ties around the screen to keep it in place until spring.

Charman - I do 32" high screens at camp because we get so much snow - although not that much every year. I go that high just to cover the bases.

Arrow P22 - simple and tough;

anybody ever come across a place to buy window screen in a bulk roll?

Lowes has big rolls of it here up to 100' long.

Thanks for the detailed post on aluminum screen everyone!

Last summer, I made a trip to the landfill and spotted a considerable amount of 4 foot window screen in a dumpster.

Dumpster diving for a cheapskate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to top FREE SCREEN!!!!!