Fruit Tree Window Screen Protection

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I saw a thread the other day where people were asking about protecting the trunks of their fruit trees. Lucky we haven't had any snow around south eastern wisconsin, i've finally got done protecting all of the grafts in my nursery. While this is especially important during winter, it's important all year round on young trees. Late fall I found a few of my smaller grafted trees that i planted this past spring, basically the trees I grafted were very short when planted, under 36". Well I was using 36" window screen to protect them, but when i planted the trees in spring I folded it down so the top of the tree would poke out. Well late fall we noticed something was getting to the trees and i had to fix the screen immediately.

Anyways, here's a few pics. I use a 36" tall by 17-20" wide piece of aluminum window screen. fold in half, staple with an office stapler and then i attach a stainless steel tree tag. I pre-assemble and then slip over the tree.

CameraZOOM-20141220140800568.jpg

CameraZOOM-20141220140807997.jpg

CameraZOOM-20141220140825845.jpg

Here's what my nursery looks like now.

CameraZOOM-20141220153313233.jpg

Then when I move the trees to the farm, they already basically have screen on them. Depending on the size of the graft, sometimes i need to open the top to allow the tree to grow out.

image20140830081104611.jpg

I also screen my dunstan chestnusts, these trees are too costly to not protect.
image20140830085334599.jpg

Ed, could you list the make and model of the stapler you are using? I have went through 3 staplers (from small to large) and they all do a poor job. If you have one that works that would be helpful.

Swingline F250 turbo extreme limited edition. Honestly I have no clue, it's a cheapie, I don't find it too hard on the stapler and each screen probably gets 30-40 staples.

I'm on my second stapler.

IMG_7836.JPG

I use excess window screen and fold it over so it is quadrupled on the SW side to protect the trunk from sunscauld.

image.jpg

Arrow P22, much better than a desktop stapler.

P22.SFL_.png

I've got a p22 as well, and it works good.

Ed - I like your system for the screens. The tags I use are aluminum w/stamped info on them and copper wire because it doesn't corrode. I tie the tag to the concrete mesh cage - I have to cage right away to keep the deer off them. I've had no probs. with the screens. They keep the mice/voles from girdling. $$$ & time well spent.

This will last you a while Freeborn. ;)

images-2.jpeg

( But I've only used a regular desktop stapler - with fine results)

Looks like a tool you'd want to take to the field, huh?

Thanks guys for the pictures. Just to clarify, it's hard to see some of the staples in the pictures, as you are looking at the tree do you staple horizontal along the top until you are close to the tree and for the vertical length do you staple several inches away. As the tree grows then the horizontal staples will pop out to allow for growth?

Thanks guys for the pictures. Just to clarify, it's hard to see some of the staples in the pictures, as you are looking at the tree do you staple horizontal along the top until you are close to the tree and for the vertical length do you staple several inches away. As the tree grows then the horizontal staples will pop out to allow for growth?

I go crazy with the staples. I staple the top and the bottom right up to the trunk. As the tree grows, the staples should pop open. It's still not a bad idea to check once or twice a year to confirm they are popping as expected.

Ogema - Yes, that's what I do for the stapling. Horiz. stapled in close to the tree and vertical down along the outside of the screen. Only the horiz. staples should pop as the tree trunk expands. Like Ed said, it's a good idea to check a few times a year to see if the staples are popping open as they're supposed to. If not and the screen is too tight around the trunk, you may have to pull a staple or 2 to allow for expansion.

Thanks guys

I'm bumping this old thread. Do you guys see the need still for 36" height on the screen or would half that be good?

I'm bumping this old thread. Do you guys see the need still for 36" height on the screen or would half that be good?
Depends on how deep your snow pack gets.