Fruit tree sprayer. Looking to upgrade.

Trapper LM

5 year old buck +
I've been using a 4 Gallon Solo sprayer to spray my home orchard. (30 trees) and also for on my hunting property (75 trees). With the dormant oil figured in, I usually spray 7-10 times on my home orchard and 3-5 on my hunting properties. I spray with Wettable powder Imidan and Captan and some Sevin later in the season. I'm getting old and my back is giving out and want to go to an ATV model. I was looking at Northern tool high PSI sprayer 200 psi orchard sprayer. But it tells me not to use WP in them. What does everybody else use for a sprayer? Or do I have to switch my chemicals?
Thanks, Trapper

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 23
Does that style of sprayer have a tank agitator? If not that would be my guess as to why it is not recommended for WP. WP usually call for constant tank agitation.

It does have agitation. I think WP is hard on the seals,. thus with a backpack you need a diaphragm pump opposed to a piston pump.

Best one by far for the money is the 15 gallon fruit tree sprayer from Northern Tools. I've been using them for over 20 years caring for over 400 trees. I sell high quality Honeycrisp at my store and ship wholesale. The have made significant upgrades to this unit and find it very durable. The nozzle is adjustabIMG_1749.JPGIMG_1756.JPGle to jet stream 30ft or a misty fan spray for excellent coverage. It sells for around 329.00.

Apple man, can you use a wettable powder in that one? What does your gun look like. The one I was looking at in Northern Tool said you couldn’t and it cost like $379. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That better be the previous litter! If that's the first pic I'm getting of this litter I'm not gonna be happy

That better be the previous litter! If that's the first pic I'm getting of this litter I'm not gonna be happy
Correct, previous litter. This litter of pups started to move in Skyys belly last night. Looked like an octopus inside of her. Only 7 more days!

Apple man, can you use a wettable powder in that one? What does your gun look like. The one I was looking at in Northern Tool said you couldn’t and it cost like $379. Thanks.

Yes, you can without agitation use the following chemicals: Imidan, Captan Gold, Avaunt, Sovran, and Flint. There are others not mentioned but for the purpose of producing some nice quality apples for home use and maintaining an apple tree plot for wildlife the Northern Tool Fruit tree sprayer works quite nicely using these chemicals. I just looked up sprayers going to Northern Tools web site. The model I mentioned is no longer available. They upgraded to a 16 gallon tank with all the bells and whistles for $379.00 (item number 282795) https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_lawn-garden+sprayers+broadcast-spot-sprayers.

Thank you. That’s exactly the one that I was planning on purchasing 200 psi until their tech told me I couldn’t use WP with it. I will order one in 2 weeks.

I use around two tablespoons per gallon of water for both imidan 70wp (phosmat) and Captan Gold 80WGR mixed together. That is equal to 2 cups for each chemical per 16 gallon spray tank. I recommend Captan gold because it is a granulated powder formulated not to foam. Its best to add the chemical first and then spray with a garden hose adjusted to full nozzle. This will dissolve the powder and allow for a no fuss spray. I have never had a spray nozzle clog using this procedure. It is recommended that you rinse the tank and flush the spray hose after use. I have let it go for 5 or 6 days without any clogging. I also add micro-nutrient (liquid form) with each application. Please keep in mind when you read application rates it states volume of chemical per acre. The same amount of chemical sprayed per acre, regardless of the amount of water used will have the same efficacy. Hopefully, you find this helpful. The sprayer is quite durable which allows me to care for about 400 trees on my property. I have to replace the spray gun about every 4 to 5 years, but considering the small expense replacing one and the amount of usage I put it through its money well spent.