Frost seeding a hay field

westonwhitetail

5 year old buck +
My cousin is thinking about frost seeding an old hay field with clover. It is mostly grasses now. The purpose is purely to increase the amount of clover in the field. We don’t care if there is a lot of grass still, because he’s going to mow it for hay a couple times in the summer anyway. I’m wondering will the frost seeded clover stand a chance against the existing grasses or would he just be throwing out hundreds of dollars in seed for nothing? We can’t spray because of an organic farm on the same property owners land and don’t have the resources to plow and disc all 30 acres.

Again we don’t care if the plot doesn’t look pretty, 100% clover like in a magazine. We just want to increase the amount of clover that is there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do this often with success... but I use cattle to plant it. The seed has to make contact with the soil. I spread clovers, chicory, and alfalfa before dumping cubes or putting out haybales in the winter, then the cattle stomp it into the ground while they eat. I try to do it when it's wet and daytime temps thaw the ground out some. If I were to do this without cattle I would find a way to get the seed to the ground. I know guys who use an old drill to seed pasture. It isn't no-till as it doesn't put the seed into the ground, but it does get seed under the vegetation so it can at least touch the soil. If not that then I would consider a short mowing after spreading seed.

Short answer is yes and can be better with the right timing.

Ed Spin a number of years ago brought up the topic of frost seeding in pastures and his experiences were based on he talked with some of the folks doing work at MSU

I probably lost that food plot pamphlet I bought from him over ten years ago so can't refer direct to his advice but here's a link to MSU website on this topic. One word of advice they offer is to mow that field as short as possible the previous fall.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/march_is_frost_seeding_month_in_michigan

Old farmers have been doing it for years.

I swear it’s why when I spray gly on old hay ground the clover comes in gangbusters with no seeding.

Thanks for the replies. Good information there from MSU. The field wasn't mowed or grazed last fall, so not sure if he'd get very good soil contact. Looks like generally mowing or grazing it short the fall before helps. I think he'll probably give it a go, it should at least help some. He can reseed next year after he grazes it for a year to fill in light areas.