All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh scrapes on December 30

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Our rut this year seemed a little strange, and today when checking 3 cameras I found two very fresh scrapes that weren't there a few weeks ago. Very unusual for my neck of the woods this late in the year.

And what a nice trail to the spot:

They have been scraping it up on our place... lots of bucks made it. I have counted 12 from trail cam photos on our 80...

They have been scraping it up on our place... lots of bucks made it. I have counted 12 from trail cam photos on our 80...

Good for you Johnny. Sounds like you will be in good shape for next season!!

I thought it was only me that saw late buck sign. I always see late scrapes pop up in December. I even saw a fresh rub today. I know it was made this week because it is on my main access trail and I go by all the time.

I thought it was only me that saw late buck sign. I always see late scrapes pop up in December. I even saw a fresh rub today. I know it was made this week because it is on my main access trail and I go by all the time.

I had a huge scrape at another spot where I walked to check cams that was very active in November, but it isn't being used at all now. I probably have several more scrapes that we haven't seen simply because we limit our movement near hunting season.

I consistently see that on the ground I manage, particularly after I get the age dynamics where I want them to be. Scraping starts earlier (believe it's because of increased competition), goes pretty cold during peak breeding and then a significant share open up again as the breeding phase winds down. There's not nearly as many active scrapes after breeding than before, but they can be hit with great regularity and can be very good places to setup, IF they're in the right spots. Specifically, though I have bad luck morning and midday hunting most everywhere in dec, reopened scrapes of the downwind sides of doe bedding areas are an exception for me. They can provide surprisingly hot Dec morning and midday action for mature bucks. I "believe" it's because the mature bucks realize there are still doe fawns to be had and they return to checking doe bedding areas, as that's where they'll find those fawns.

i find freshly worked scrapes consistently in January while shed scouting/hunting. I have one in particular that is used in January most years since i have found it. it is at the back side of a staging area that is adjacent to a field that always has corn left standing. you'd be surprised at how much deer continue to use scrapes in some manner or another throughout the year. I had a camera in a spot that covered a corner of my plot as well as the scrape that i made in that corner...i've had deer of both sexes and all age classes check and use the scrape throughout the year. Out side of the fall though its usually just a sniff of the ground or quick sniff/lick of the branch, not the full range of behavior like pawing, pissing, rub urination, defacating, thrashing the limbs, poking their eyes out..but definitely some measure of usage all year.

Nice! Grant woods has been posting lots of reconyx vids of active scrapes. Crazy how some guys are posted bucks with shed antlers an others bucks are still scraping!

Nice! Grant woods has been posting lots of reconyx vids of active scrapes. Crazy how some guys are posted bucks with shed antlers an others bucks are still scraping!
I have 3 bucks that have shed off now and scrapes are getting opened back up...