Foxtail

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Will Clethodim kill foxtail grass ?? Looking for something that will kill it without killing buckwheat or clover.

yes

Yes if it is young! Cleth works best on young grasses. The older they get, the less effective it becomes. Cleth won't kill clover, but I've never used it on buckwheat. I don't know if it is labeled for it or not, or if it will work if it is not labeled.

Sure will. Foxtail is a good seed source for birds if your trying to manage for other critters, but it will certainly take over a plot if allowed as well.

The foxtail takes over one area of a plot that we usually have partially in buckwheat. We want to kill it so it doesn't drown out the other plot goodies. So it's best to hit it with cleth while it's still young ??

Another thought ……. will cereal rye suppress foxtail ?? We could hammer rye in that area if you guys think that will work. Mix the rye with red clover if the clover won't get smothered by the foxtail ??

The foxtail takes over one area of a plot that we usually have partially in buckwheat. We want to kill it so it doesn't drown out the other plot goodies. So it's best to hit it with cleth while it's still young ??

Another thought ……. will cereal rye suppress foxtail ?? We could hammer rye in that area if you guys think that will work. Mix the rye with red clover if the clover won't get smothered by the foxtail ??

I think smothering is largely about a head-start. If you plant a thick stand of WR in the fall, I doubt you will have foxtail issues the next year. On the other hand, if you plant WR in the spring, I doubt it will smother foxtail. Buckwheat is much faster to germinate. It will often out-compete weeds. You are better off killing the foxtail with gly. Keep in mind that foxtail, once it has gone to seed, will probably always be in your seed bank. The key is disadvantaging it over the crop you want to grow. There are lots of ways to do it.

Thanks,

jack

769558D0-B082-4517-818D-ED5A81AC0477.jpeg
Beautiful stand of Foxtail!!