Found an old well

Every post should be required to submit a picture
I sure wish I had pics of the well inside that home. I don't think that I even owned a cell phone in those days.

I had a spring well like that in the draw in field behind the house. I buried it with my Cat 951 so I didn’t have to worry about a kid falling into it. Under the back of my old farm house I have 10’ diameter 15’ deep cistern that when I re-poured fresh concrete over the cap I added a 4” pvc pipe so if the need ever arose I could pump water from it.

I'm going to find out how deep it is this weekend. I was thinking the same thing about a cap. Dumb question, but when pouring the concrete cap, I assume you would use something like plywood to pour the concrete onto, with a hole and pipe through?

ffa991160ce8118de9c82f9185fb92d7.jpg

As requested!
You know, she's pretty cute, but these days I'd prefer she came with a diesel.

Tie a cup to a string and scoop out a little water. If it tastes clean and fresh then you have found some type of an old well. If it tastes like shit then you found the location of the old outhouse!

It would be a good idea to cover it with something so no critters can fall into the water and pollute it. I had an old well at my place that was cased, but it wasn't covered so who knows how many critters fell in there over the decades since it was abandoned. We covered it for a few years then called in a well company to test it and use it for our cabin well. It worked well and saved me some money.

Let us know how that turns out.

Turns out it is a spring box or something like that. It’s 4-5’ deep, 3 or so feet wide and 4 feet long. Cement top with a 12” hole. I’d still like to try and make it usable for watering plants of washing off.

Do you have power?I drop a pipe down a cased well and pump out with a low level well pump.You can put a checvk valve and sand point on the end of 1 1/4 inch well caseing or even use black rool pipe and put fittings on one end and check valve and sand point on end in ground