Forb ID

Yarg

5 year old buck +
I have only found one of these I don't know if the picture will shows but it's got a reddish green hallow stalk it feels very tender and succulent and appears the deer have been utilizing it

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_112304240.jpg
    IMG_20180613_112304240.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 37
Here's another photo of it

Attachments

• IMG_20180614_200839139.jpg
    IMG_20180614_200839139.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 32
That’s pokeweed. Some people see it browsed a lot but my deer turn their nose at it. I generally spray it when I see a patch starting in my fields.

It grows to 10 feet high here.

Last edited:
That’s pokeweed. Some people see it browsed a lot but my deer turn their nose at it. I generally spray it when I see a patch starting in my fields.

It grows to 10 feet high here.
Wow! Thanks again

Wow! Thanks again

You're welcome.

PS: I forgot to mention. Your second picture is something else and not the same plant. It almost looks like a tree sprout of some kind - maybe Black Gum. First plant, however, is pokeweed (100%).

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks again

You're welcome.

PS: I forgot to mention. Your second picture is something else and not the same plant. It almost looks like a tree sprout of some kind - maybe Black Gum. First plant, however, is pokeweed (100%).

2nd is black gum. It is also heavily browsed by deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Native (not that you should doubt Native....because he is THE MAN...when it comes to plant ID). Pokeweed for pic #1. It will get BIG in the proper situations. I have seen it 8 feet tall and stalks as thick as a baseball bat before. It will produce a black berry type fruit that the birds will eat and will leave a nasty stain on your clothes as well. My deer don't browse it either. It's not an invasive that I am aware of, but can easily dominate over something better.

This is me doing a drive by shooting....

hzlVit9h.jpg

Oh the humanity!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, it was cutting in on my turf, so I put a hit out on it............

Haha! Tough neighborhood! Looks like I need to upgrade my firepower. The backpack sprayer I’m currently using is a lot less fun at 95 degrees than it was at 65.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely Pokeweed.
It just goes to show you how much herds differ. My deer (in SW Pa) absolutely love the stuff and they also hammer it in a couple different parts of Ohio that I hunt.
I encourage the stuff. It used to be that my deer didn't start eating it until late summer, but I guess they've learned to like it in the younger stages. The don't touch it as a sprout, but by the time it gets waist high, they start hitting it, and that's also when the clover is lush and other prime food is also available. So I know they aren't eating it out of desperation. My deer also love the dry, brown, dead leaves of pokeweed. I've actually chopped and moved it from areas where deer wouldn't find it and laid it by my mineral lick. It gets eaten.
When it grows out of browsing reach, I bend the stock over, kind of like a hinge cut (without actually cutting it). It continues to live and deer continue to eat it.

Definitely Pokeweed.
It just goes to show you how much herds differ. My deer (in SW Pa) absolutely love the stuff and they also hammer it in a couple different parts of Ohio that I hunt.
I encourage the stuff. It used to be that my deer didn't start eating it until late summer, but I guess they've learned to like it in the younger stages. The don't touch it as a sprout, but by the time it gets waist high, they start hitting it, and that's also when the clover is lush and other prime food is also available. So I know they aren't eating it out of desperation. My deer also love the dry, brown, dead leaves of pokeweed. I've actually chopped and moved it from areas where deer wouldn't find it and laid it by my mineral lick. It gets eaten.
When it grows out of browsing reach, I bend the stock over, kind of like a hinge cut (without actually cutting it). It continues to live and deer continue to eat it.
Wow cool to know unfortunately I only saw one on the whole entire plot I got to check around the farm see if there's any more

Definitely Pokeweed.
Wow cool to know unfortunately I only saw one on the whole entire plot I got to check around the farm see if there's any more
My pokeweed seldom shows up in the plots. Its almost always an edge plant and grows well in mostly shade. That's something that I like about it. Its not an issue in my plots and it feeds deer along shady edges.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Definitely Pokeweed.
My pokeweed seldom shows up in the plots. Its almost always an edge plant and grows well in mostly shade. That's something that I like about it. Its not an issue in my plots and it feeds deer along shady edges.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It’s an edge plant because birds poop it out and the perch on field edges quite often. If you have a place you want it, hack and squirt a tree, then burn the area a few years later. It will be full of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have seen it come up under my power line a few years ago when we killed fescue to put in NWSGs. I wore out a sprayer for a year.