All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those of you who are hundreds of miles from your farm....

My place is 375 miles away and the only reason I own it is family. I am the fifth generation owner of the farm and spent my summers as a kid and teen there with my grandparents. The property became mine about 8 years ago, which is when I really got going on habitat. Also was able to put a home on the place in 2010, which my Mom liked so much she moved in a year or so ago. The bad news is my hunting camp has become a granny shack, the good news is it is the best place in the world she could be at this stage of her life.I do require her to find alternative lodging with her brother for the last 3 weeks of deer season which is when I get my "me" time. It does wonders for my sanity to spend 3 weeks in the woods absolutely by myself as a feral male doing exactly what I want, when I want with zero female input.

I have bought and sold (5) farms in Iowa. It's the best deer hunting that I have personally experienced, and it's a unique market where you can get great but once in awhile.

It looks like the farm I have now will be--the one I keep.

The goal is for my boys and I to shoot mature bucks, have fun doing it, and also use the tillable ground for retirement income in the future.

Being 6 hours away has drawbacks, but I know some people that keep an eye on it---they have become friends of mine.

Yes, I use to buy and flip some. Honestly, the farm I have now could be better and I could find better, but we have created too many family memories there at this point. My guess is that my daughter will always have it :).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When a guy buys property and wants good hunting, they need to do their research before buying. And Just because its been in the family for years, means you may have just had 4 generations worth of piss poor hunting. As I have found out my self, you can do all the habitat and food plot work you want, some areas just won't produce well. Took me 20 years to finally figure that one out!!!

It is very easy to get attached to a farm/parcel. I have a couple in MN, that I would never sell.

I bought my 50 back in the 80's because I wanted to get out of the orange forest. It is 240 miles from home, so 4hrs. This was the area that I learned to hunt with a friend whose parents had a cabin, so I knew the area, and it was the only place I had to hunt. I still cannot believe the low price I paid, since my neighbors were offered it and declined. (not enough lumber for the price) At $2000 down over 2 months, then $100/mo for 5 years, it was a no brainer even though it is mostly swamp. I built a log cabin there for a place to stay which I love to go to even if I have nothing to do (never). Since then I have met many locals that are now dear friends that I hunt with every year, doing drives on county land. Now I usually go up either Thursday nite or Friday morning, and come home on Monday so I get at least 2 full days, but my schedule allows it. When I bought it, it was just for hunting, no other recreation, so I only went in fall, but it was every weekend for 3 months. Now that I dove into habitat work I try to get there every 2 weeks to work. Do I wish it was closer to home, yes. Would I do it again, in a heartbeat. Since this is really the first year I have done any major habitat work, we will see how this season works out. Now I have so much planned that the next few years will be busy.

For those of you who are many hours away from your farms, why do you have a farm so far away? Is it a connection to the area? Perhaps raised there? Family? Is is because there are way better bucks there than close to home? I ask because I have had some chances to buy some exceptional properties in some exceptional deer area and never pulled the plug because I considered it too much of a pain to get the place. What do you think? Would you do it over again? Would you buy a place 400 miles away or more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went in with several others and formed an LLC to purchase land. It was a long-term real estate investment with interim income from timber management and a recreational opportunity. All owners were willing to invest in QDM as well and all but one were hunters.

Distance is an issue for now, but we selected a location proximate to where we hope to retire. We had no family or historic connection to the location. I love the climate and game laws in this state but want out of the city traffic upon retirement. We will be within easy driving distance of our current residence for maintaining connection to friends and family. Our retirement home will be within 10 to 20 minutes of a college town with amenities and good healthcare.

So, in general, we bought with an eye toward the future but an opportunity to get away from the rat race today. It is lots of work but keeps me sane and offers and escape for this desk jockey.

Thanks,

Jack

Land is cheaper and I like the northwoods feel instead of being crowded. Big woods hunting is for me. I don't call it a farm for that reason. I look at most people's properties on these sites and ask myself where all the trees are.

"I like the northwoods feel instead of being crowded. Big woods hunting is for me. I don't call it a farm for that reason. I look at most people's properties on these sites and ask myself where all the trees are."

Well stated.

Land is cheaper and I like the northwoods feel instead of being crowded. Big woods hunting is for me. I don't call it a farm for that reason. I look at most people's properties on these sites and ask myself where all the trees are.

Good point!
First property I bought was because it was cheap (NW MN) and that started the process to what I have now. I'm glad I bought that one, or I might not have what I have today, distance didn't matter really, it worked out.