All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foodplot help

Depends on how much regrowth you get on the mowed area. If you get a bunch you may want to broadcast, spray, and then come back and mow it down after the spray has taken affect. If you don’t get a bunch then you can broadcast and spray cultipack if you like and walk away.

I think that what you see in the pic is Foxtail and the big leafed stuff is Velvet leaf.

I’m with Scott. That grass is foxtail. Yellow foxtail (Setaria) To be exact. You can see a tell tale seed head in your picture. In two weeks there will be a zillion seeds in that grass.

I’d nuke the grass section with gly and oversees brassicas.

Well shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not all is lost depending on what your fall plans are. I’m not sure where you are located but you can let it grow for a few weeks then broadcast, spray, and mow. If you don’t get enough growth you can broadcast, spray, and roll instead.

I’m in Indiana. My plans were going to be frigid forage autumn quick plot.

Before you buy anything else, do some reading through here on blends.. %99.99.99 percent of the time you are better off & cheaper, to hit up your local Seed store or ag supply. Or a couple of the online dealers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that what you see in the pic is Foxtail and the big leafed stuff is Velvet leaf.

Definitely Foxtail ... looks like seed heads have formed. You can do whatever you want this year, your eradication approach will be the next 2 years.

I would focus on gly spray to kill and then a heavy dose of winter rye in 1st week of sept, probably 100-150 lbs per acre along with red clover. You can let the WR grow into next late June as it will suppress grasses, and the clover provides a spring food source. You can then terminate the WR and start the foxtail eradication again.

A foodplot is not a BOB seed mix and let it grow endeavor. It can take several years to gain control of ground to prep it for foodplot stage.

If you want to learn about long term FP development, read ... Lickcreek Threads

Definitely Foxtail ... looks like seed heads have formed. You can do whatever you want this year, your eradication approach will be the next 2 years.

I would focus on gly spray to kill and then a heavy dose of winter rye in 1st week of sept, probably 100-150 lbs per acre along with red clover. You can let the WR grow into next late June as it will suppress grasses, and the clover provides a spring food source. You can then terminate the WR and start the foxtail eradication again.

A foodplot is not a BOB seed mix and let it grow endeavor. It can take several years to gain control of ground to prep it for foodplot stage.

Thanks, I mowed and sprayed the whole thing. Its been a successful clover plot for a few years. Im going to try Frigid forage autumn quick plot, Its mostly winter rye.

Thanks, I mowed and sprayed the whole thing. Its been a successful clover plot for a few years. Im going to try Frigid forage autumn quick plot, Its mostly winter rye.

Your time & money, but you would be a lot better off actually taking the advice posted & doing a DIY rye/clover mix instead of a BOB mix. I had success for several years doing this, a heavy cereal mix to suppress the weeds & it worked well for me. My plot was fallow for a couple years, so I’ll be planting more rye & wheat this year.

You also get the advantage of the OM, that will get you to the place where you can grow the greens & “ice cream” plants.

I've had good luck with winter peas and sunflowers using TNM. Use the cereals and clover to crowd out the weeds next year and get the attraction of the peas and sunflowers this year.

I'd plant a mix of winter peas, sunflowers, radishes, clover, and winter rye.

Your time & money, but you would be a lot better off actually taking the advice posted & doing a DIY rye/clover mix instead of a BOB mix. I had success for several years doing this, a heavy cereal mix to suppress the weeds & it worked well for me. My plot was fallow for a couple years, so I’ll be planting more rye & wheat this year.

You also get the advantage of the OM, that will get you to the place where you can grow the greens & “ice cream” plants.

I don’t even know who my “local seed store” would be.... I’ll check into it. Not opposed to saving money.

Nutrien Ag Solutions is one of the national suppliers, you probably also have a local farm co-op or supplier as well. Nutrien can get you pretty much anything you want.

Google (or other favorite search engine) is your friend.

I don’t even know who my “local seed store” would be.... I’ll check into it. Not opposed to saving money.

What I've found in you find a good seed dealer close they'll be more than happy to order seed for you that they don't carry.

ill figure it out from here... Thanks fellas you've all been a lot of help.

If you can't find a local feed mill, you can try Welters Seed out of Iowa. Great people to work with, rapid shipping, and handle small volume orders.

Welters Seed

https://www.nutrienagsolutions.com/products/find-location

not a great start for them, "404 page not found" when i click find a location.

076d48f00feb2d605b9d4f2a78cde755.jpg

They rebranded from another name in the last year or so, not surprising.

Youve got plenty of time for a great plot yet so I wouldnt sweat it. If you mowed it and killed it youre on the right track. And if you cant find a local seed dealer, just buy the buck on the bag stuff for this summer, its fine! Go get your bag of Frigid Forage and get it broadcasted right before you next rain and there's no reason it shouldn't work out great! If you have spots it doesn't work out, throw down some Winter Rye around the 1st of Sept.

You got this.

I would try to find something local. Shipping has gotten a bit high it seems like.

Welters was $90 for 150 lbs of seed and Green cover was $90 for 66 lbs. I’ve ordered from all over and I used to get shipping for about $.50 a pound the last few years. I need to call Green Cover as there online quote was rather high.

Looks good enough to eat.