All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food Plot Plan

I think part of the brassica issue is they are getting hit well before the first frost so by November they look pretty bare besides the bulbs. Which get hit until the snow gets a few inches deep for whatever reason.

Do your brassicas get good growth if the beans arent overbrowsed? Seems like they would get shaded out.

What did you mean by "Don't overseed your rye if you are going to broadcast it in." Do you mean don't overseed rye if I were to broadcast soybeans? Guessing that would cause a spacing issue.

I think part of the brassica issue is they are getting hit well before the first frost so by November they look pretty bare besides the bulbs. Which get hit until the snow gets a few inches deep for whatever reason.

Do your brassicas get good growth if the beans arent overbrowsed? Seems like they would get shaded out.

What did you mean by "Don't overseed your rye if you are going to broadcast it in." Do you mean don't overseed rye if I were to broadcast soybeans? Guessing that would cause a spacing issue.
If you broadcast rye into beans you won't get proper seed to soil contact like you would from a clean bed that you cultivate after. With smaller seeds like brassica you don't need the same seed to soil contact and it will grow better without packing. With 3 ft rows you will have space to broadcast over, shorter rows maybe not. The sade can also help protect the plant from burn out during the hot summer days.

I've had that same thing happen to me. Deer start annihilating the turnips/radish in mid September even before a frost. They pounded the co op seed, but left my big n beasty field until muzzy season. One takeaway for that was get better and offer more brassicas so there is still food come winter. I like the overseeding into beans, I would go with turnips as the seed is slightly smaller than radish so it should make germination easier.

I've got a few that hold apples well past Dec. We need more of those.
Are those on your 172 property?