Food plot plan help

TxA&Mhunter

5 year old buck +
View attachment 14870
First about the photo.
Soil- mix of clay and sugar sand and loam
We have been using no till drill for 2 years now. With a good amount of acucess building up organic matter in the soil.
Yellow-24 chestnuts orchard planted this year all about 5 ft tall. They are in Tubes and are electric fenced.
White dots are corn feeders (yes it's a Texas thing)
Green area is planted currently in: pearl millet sun hemp, peas and sunflowers.

Purple is proposed broadcast seeding (read below)

Two years we planted (lc mix) oats rye clover mix in early October (bow session starts then ) however army worms wrecked havoc.
Last year we planted nov and didn't have the same issue but was less of a draw during now and early rifle and rut... was great post dec.

So two questions for y'all. First
I picked up on the cheep about 200 lbs of WT inst clover seed from closing gander mountain store. And a about 80lbs of other seeed mixes.
In about a week or so... in the purple lines/area I am thinking about broadcasting the mixes like honey hole and secret spot and the other random ones that I picked up. And the planting the normal area in nov to avoid army worms. Any one see any reasion not to do this?

Second question. The area marked hay field is costs hay that hasn't been cut this year. We have banked the grass and will be grazed late oct-march then disked under. Is this worth no tilling in to or broadcasting on to for added attraction? If so is there a suggestion or a particular patteren younwould plant in??

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Planting a random mix of stuff will probably be successful, but how will you replicate that in future years? Monitor closely what germinated well and what is consumed by deer. An exclosure would be very important to me on a field where lots of different things were planted, so I have the ability to determine what worked well and what didn't.

As for the hay field: I would definitely plant the perimeter with something to encourage browsing during the daytime. Maybe you can come up with a hay mix that is a good compromise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I look at that and my gut instinct tells me there is not much room to hide on that property.... and plenty of food especially with feeders.

How does warm season grasses do in Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your very right there isn't enough big cover. We are slowly working on fixing they by planting trees and nwsg.
Below is picture with added stuff to it
The black lines indicate current/future tree planting.
The yellow is chestnut (have about 80 tires spread out in the yellow areas... the orange is fruit tree planting.

This the open area as have costal grass and bluestem mix that range between 2 to 4 ft high. Its rotational grazed so it's always in great shape.

The main reason there is so much food is two fold. First none of the areas around us have it. It's mostly costal fields and thick woods. No ag fields at all. So deer appear to be travel a long ways for it.

Second I think Texas will eventual outlaw bating bc of the cwd. And reshaping this land slowly will lead us to eventually be way head the curve for hunting. ovbously trees and cover taking longest... but if the food is there, and the doe are there... the bucks will be eventually!

Hank's for feedback and any other suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: