Food Plot Placement Input wanted

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
So I'm new to this forum and even though I like to think I know what I am doing some additional input from experienced, passionate land managers is always nice to have. I just heard the other day that a landowner to the East of us wants some food plot advice. He planted a patch of corn last year but it was in 20+year sod and produced little to no cobs. I dont believe he wants advice on that particular plot as much as adding additional plots. The landowner to the West is currently planting plots. We also own the piece of property to the North where we have a couple of plots.

We don't have any sort of a Co op but the land lies in the APR area so i guess we kind of have a buck size rule in place. (could be much better but nonetheless). My question is, if we could get together on planning our plots, could we position them in locations relative to the plots on the neighboring properties to be able to all benefit from movement between each others plots instead of planting them in spots hoping to pull deer off of the neighbors property?

I'll try to upload some images to show the area and where current plots are located.

Thanks

Yes, this is certainly a possibility and working with neighbors is a better all around way to achieve some of the goals you want. But at the same time, You need to remember that things change and so do neighbors and sometimes people are just as unpredictable as any other wildcard to a hunting season. I would first start the program looking at your property and seeing what you can provide to the herd and what your neighbors can provide. For example are their plots big enough to support beans or corn but maybe yours are not. It would then make sense to work with the neighbors because they can provide one type of forage and you can provide a different type. This would help limit their home ranges some and provide more spots for bucks to ambush doe during the rut.

My two cents would be to improve your ground the best you can, then work with your neighbors. I know it's selfish but hunters can get crazy over deer or a couple years pass and they lose patience and shoot something small that normally they wouldn't.

Depending on how much land you are talking about, I might give the opposite advice. You really need to start with goals. Are you trying to improve the health of the local herd or simply attract deer and improve hunting. Do you have sufficient land to accomplish your goal. Most of us don't have enough land to measurably improve herd health. Assume a deer's home range is about 1,000 acres (depends on habitat). Start with a survey of what is available in that 1,000 acres. Having a relationship with neighbors is a huge plus because you can not only survey what they have but learn what they plan. Once you have an idea of what is available to deer that use your land, you can provide what is missing. If your plan is to improve hunting, it may be best to let your neighbors provide the food and you provide the cover, but that depends on what is available and where.

Good Luck,

Jack

Jack's approach is much more positive than mine and probably more what your looking for. If boarders really aren't a big deal for you and your neighbors, lay out your plots and think of them in two types, destination plots and kill plots. Destination plots are usually bigger, ag fields, 2+ acres or bigger. Kill plots can be anything under the 2 acre mark even down to a 1/16 of acre or smaller if tucked close to bedding. Position in places next to cover but on the way to the destination plots if possible. This will help "Pattern" deer and give you an idea of where on your property and your neighbors property where scantuary areas should be. Also think of entry and exit routes too and from your plots and other satellite stand locations. I only hunt my plots if I feel like I have a better than average chance of killing a nice buck otherwise I feel like hunting the travel routes to and from the plots helps me hunt the current herd and allows me to exit the property with a smaller chance of being busted. It still does happen though. Good luck in your journey and sometimes it takes a couple of years for the deer to get comfortable with plots in certain locations.

In my area of SE MN, hunting is pretty good if the deer numbers are high. If your neighbors are going to plant some plots to shoot every adult doe that walks by, that might do more harm than good. If they provide winter food which brings the does through the winter in good shape so they can drop more fawns, that's a good thing.

I don't think I would spend too much time trying to develop a neighborhood deer movement plan though. I wouldn't want my neighbors telling me what to plant and where to plant it on my land, so I'm pretty sure they would feel the same way as well. I would (and do) simply concentrate on how to improve the hunting on my property and if that helps the neighbors, great. If not, that's OK too.

Where I'm at there are lots of people that were supposed to be practicing "deer management" and hardly ANY actually follows the rules they try to hold other people to----CRAZY,dishonest,greedy,and childish all come to mind. I don't work with any other people when it comes to hunting. Hopefully you have better and more honest neighbors that actually have some morals and self respect.