Food plot help

Are the red & purple areas low ?? You mentioned they are marsh grass now. If they are really low, that may change the suggestions from apple & pear trees. ( Frost pockets ? ) You guys from that area would know what works best.

Yep, that is why I said if it was high ground I would plant apple or pear trees when addressing his original post. If its swamp I would plant willows for cover and not try any food plot. Would be a waste of money!

No not that low water doesn't stand there. I think tree would grow just fine. I will be planting some trees. But just wondering on food plot seed. Like to see does come out and eat before heading to ag fields. During pre rut and rut like seeing bucks coming threw checking.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Well what miracle food plot you got cookin Jack that would be better than his corn, beans, alfalfa and clover in the area he talks about? I don't need a address like you to figure out nothing is going to be better than those. His new plots are not big enough for anything of better value than apple trees or pear trees in his situation from what he had given us. Since I have been doing this game for almost 40 years, I feel qualified to take a calculated guess at a suggestion.

But of course will will give us a uni-bomber style thesis that will be so far ahead of its time that the deer will be stacked on top of each other like cord wood in any plot you would come up with, I am sure of it!

So as normal, lets have the thesis on another subject you know little about......

Some like to make assumptions and provide an answer based on that alone. Others prefer to understand the problem and provide a well considered answer. My answer would be quite different for someone in zone 9 than zone 3. I think that was Tap's point. To each his own. Readers can make their own assessments of the value of individual posters.

I have no issues with your quick trigger high assumption approach. My difficulty is with your trolling of folks like Semisane making useful suggestions for posters: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/a-suggestion-for-food-plot-forum-participants.6568/

No not that low water doesn't stand there. I think tree would grow just fine. I will be planting some trees. But just wondering on food plot seed. Like to see does come out and eat before heading to ag fields. During pre rut and rut like seeing bucks coming threw checking.

If you have good bedding in your woods close by these areas just about anything you have in small plots will get pounded. Even brassicas can get mowed early if not a large enough area. I have a 1/3 acre area that got munched before Nov this year. Still surrounded by over 100 acres of corn right now, they started combining a few strips but than left so moisture must still be high. Before that had a couple hundred acres of beans to the E and NE. Point is plenty of food less than 1/4 mile away but when they have snacks right next to their bed, they eat that pretty hard too. My vote is for Winter Rye and clover planted in the late summer if you have to food plot just to get some dirt under your nails AND plant some fruit trees for longer term.

My 5/8 acre of clover has been a putting green all this fall....

Some like to make assumptions and provide an answer based on that alone. Others prefer to understand the problem and provide a well considered answer. My answer would be quite different for someone in zone 9 than zone 3. I think that was Tap's point. To each his own. Readers can make their own assessments of the value of individual posters.

I have no issues with your quick trigger high assumption approach. My difficulty is with your trolling of folks like Semisane making useful suggestions for posters: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/a-suggestion-for-food-plot-forum-participants.6568/

Since your not in charge just mind your own business and I will bet everyone gets along just fine! You ain't the message board police Cliff!

Since your not in charge just mind your own business and I will bet everyone gets along just fine! You ain't the message board police Cliff!

There is a big difference between being a moderator and simply calling someone on bad form. While you are free to say anything you want to the limits the moderators will tolerate, don't expect to be immune from being called on it!

Called on what? I made a post to the original post and you took a shot at me. I took a shot back and now you have your man panties in a bunch. Deal with it and get back on topic or off topic since you seem to be better at that......

Called on what? I made a post to the original post and you took a shot at me. I took a shot back and now you have your man panties in a bunch. Deal with it and get back on topic or off topic since you seem to be better at that......

Selective memory...Go back and re-read.

Not apposed at all! Could care less.

Its up to the poster if he wants to give the address, town, zone, state.....

You suggested pears before you even knew what state he was in, let alone in which of the 5 zones that are within Wisconsin he was asking about.
And yeah, it is up to the poster to furnish location info if they wish, but it's also a responsibility (or should be) for someone (as "knowledgeable" as you) to know the general location before they start giving advice. For all you knew, the OP lived in a zone not suitable for pears...in which he could have spent hundreds of dollars buying pear trees based on advice you gave him. I know that "posting of location" was a topic in another thread and you seem opposed to it...at least that's how it appears to some of us, but apparently you don't care about the hardiness zone location of someone asking advice. But you should ask a few questions before giving advice IMHO.
I seldom give advice to guys in south Florida or Texas, because I have no experience in those zones. I think we should all consider how much we may or may not know before we give advice because there are newbies on here that are quite wet behind the ears when it comes to this stuff and they may take some unfounded advice. We really need to realize that when we give advice and use all the acronyms, abbreviations, and assumptions we use about what we think they know.

You suggested pears before you even knew what state he was in, let alone in which of the 5 zones that are within Wisconsin he was asking about.
And yeah, it is up to the poster to furnish location info if they wish, but it's also a responsibility (or should be) for someone (as "knowledgeable" as you) to know the general location before they start giving advice. For all you knew, the OP lived in a zone not suitable for pears...in which he could have spent hundreds of dollars buying pear trees based on advice you gave him. I know that "posting of location" was a topic in another thread and you seem opposed to it...at least that's how it appears to some of us, but apparently you don't care about the hardiness zone location of someone asking advice. But you should ask a few questions before giving advice IMHO.
I seldom give advice to guys in south Florida or Texas, because I have no experience in those zones. I think we should all consider how much we may or may not know before we give advice because there are newbies on here that are quite wet behind the ears when it comes to this stuff and they may take some unfounded advice. We really need to realize that when we give advice and use all the acronyms, abbreviations, and assumptions we use about what we think they know.

But i did know...Apples and pears are still my recommendation on high ground as I suggested in my original post!

Your beating a dead horse, but I don't mind. LOL!

But i did know...Apples and pears are still my recommendation on high ground as I suggested in my original post!

Your beating a dead horse, but I don't mind. LOL!
My impression from your post (#3) was that you didn't care to know his location. It seemed like you based your response on Yoder asking about his location (post #2).

I may be beating a dead horse, but I'm not doing it in order to convince you of something I know nobody will ever convince you of. But I AM trying to enlighten others that, if they would like valid info, then providing important info would be helpful.

SW Pa

My impression from your post (#3) was that you didn't care to know his location. It seemed like you based your response on Yoder asking about his location (post #2).

I may be beating a dead horse, but I'm not doing it in order to convince you of something I know nobody will ever convince you of. But I AM trying to enlighten others that, if they would like valid info, then providing important info would be helpful.

SW Pa

Its apples that you can grow anywhere in the USA, and pears you can grow anywhere in the USA other than about a 10' circle around International falls MN. As I said, I don't need a address or location, to make that suggestion to a guy that is surrounded by AG.

I have been buying, setting these properties up and selling them for almost 40 years. It ain't rocket science that others want you to believe. So keep beating the horse, I still don't mind!

And so you don't jump up and down about my description of zone 3, its probably a little bigger than a 10' circle around International falls. I was making a joke, as I do with a lot of comments. Some guys should learn how to laugh once in a while! Bahahahahahahaha!

Some people amaze me. A guy post asking for help and someone how people make it about themselves and we wonder why these type of boards see about half as much traffic as they used to. Just answer peoples questions the best you can and if you don't agree with someone else then who cares, but arguing like children is probably not going to accomplish anything.

I am in a similar boat with some of my timber sections and will be focusing on clover and winter rye for this year. With one big section of brassicas for fun and to see what they can do for late muzzleloader. Not sure if it will work, but I sure love planting them and giving it a shot. So regardless of a lot of things to me the work is half the fun and the ones we planted this year got eaten so just because you are surrounded by corn and beans does not mean they will not eat them. I do not eat the same thing for dinner everyday and when I do I get tired of it.

Steven,

The work IS the fun!

bill

Throw some chicory in with the clover---the two go together pretty well here in Minnesota.

Ag is great in the summer, after harvest it's good too. But, when/if the snow gets deep, I still like some standing corn and/or beans. I also plant lots of cereal grains, clover and brassica. Granted most of the crap I plant doesn't get hammered that much when I'm hunting, but I like the deer to pile into my places late season and get fat and drop their sheds. Clover is king in small plots......

Throw some chicory in with the clover---the two go together pretty well here in Minnesota.
Yeah for sure gna add some chicory. The plot was a big weed patch before I started so wanted to just keep it clover so I could spray and mow it. Just looking for something eles to drive them deer crazy to pull of my neighbors. Leaning towards beans and sunflower with a brassica mix possibility. Wonder what people thought. With also planting some apple trees and couple pear.