Follow up pics grafting and surgery

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
As some of you will recall I went to war with fireblight three years ago. In order to same trees in my smaller hunting plot orchards, I sacrificed some pretty nice 10 year trees that had been infested for a couple years and I didn’t think I would every get them “cleaned”. So they were cut to stumps and I carved cankers out of the 3-5 year trees, applied copper paste and then tree kote. All well today. Here are some of the two year grafts that look like needles protruding out of an elephant’s rear.

. IMG_3213.JPGIMG_6373.JPGIMG_6371.JPG

Then some of you offered advise on this one which was really the only cut tree that had struggled. It was one I planted well before I knew anything about growing, training, pruning or doing anything with fruit trees. It was never trained to a central leader, Had at least three competing leaders and was a mess. I over pruned it, over fertilized it and all of that occurred prior to and following a very severe winter for us making it even more susceptible to FB.

IMG_3216.JPG

Yesterday, I eliminated all but one graft and cleaned out the dead and decaying wood. I also trimmed back the larger laterals that were never cut flush for some reason ?????

IMG_3215.JPG

I THINK it will be fine. Once I got it cleaned up the damage was not quite as bad as I suspected. If it doesn’t die I will have a black oxford, if it dies I will have a spot for a new tree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have NO experience doing any of that ^^^^^ , but it sure looks like good work !! I would think the trees will survive.

I have NO experience doing any of that ^^^^^ , but it sure looks like good work !! I would think the trees will survive.

Thanks, going to do some touch up today to make sure I got all the dead bark off and cleaned up. My wife was texting and wanted to head to the movies as I was trying to finish yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Impressive grafting work, they look good to me. I think even the last one will do fine, and it has a better root system than anything you can plant in it's place. Lookin' good!

Nice work!