Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

Mine are gone. I'm just west of you some spud in NW Sauk Co. No rain for a month after planting in early August. What little the brassicas grew the deer have demolished. Glad I threw some clover in w/ them and over seeded some WR in September as it's giving me a green plot at least.

Been a tough Spring / Summer this year. I know I've posted allot on my no-tll and new drill efforts. But I gotta say.....the plots I had this summer maybe were not the best.....but they always had enough clover to feed the deer......despite some of my bad timing. And when I planted into the existing plots those seeds eventually germinated and grew. This is one of those years where (with my sand) keeping roots in the ground to conserve what moisture we got.....has paid a dividend.

Drill baby drill. I'm sold.

Thanks 356. I'll be curious to see your crop shown after a hard freeze. We already had some frost here....and some varieties really wither fast with a freeze. I think the milo fares pretty good.
Here is the Milo after several mornings of hard frost (low 20s). The deer are starting to eat the heads of the smaller milo. I am not sure what constitutes "tasty" over "mere sustenance" when it comes to Milo.

1698711243374.jpeg

^. Wow.....exceeds my expectations. Thanks!

I'm going to have to try some name varieties of sorghum sometime. I get good results with what I through out, would probably be very happy if I did some research into what I really want.

Until recently the deer seemed to favor acorns and clover to the brassica.
Your plots look great!! Your deer ought to love the food supplies.
Just for some additional info - here in northern Pa. where our camp is located, zone 5 / 6 border - in good acorn years, those and clover plots get the most attention too. At least until it gets pretty cold, then the brassicas become more the focus. Acorns are by far the biggest attraction, and in good acorn years, even our food plots get less attention. But once the cold sets in / snow flies - the winter greens get hammered. Grain rye is also one of our favorites mixed with brassicas. Deer here dig through deep snow to get at rye & brassicas.