Flower?

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Not sure but is this some kind of wildflower? Has single thin stem coming up maybe three feet tall to head.

I4VHaOH.jpg

Native, you really impress me with your knowledge of plants!

Native, you really impress me with your knowledge of plants!

Agree!^^^^^^^
This was a very weird looking one for me, I may have seen them in the past but it sure doesn't come to mind and I'd have never known what it was if I had.

Agree!^^^^^^^
This was a very weird looking one for me, I may have seen them in the past but it sure doesn't come to mind and I'd have never known what it was if I had.

It reminds me of one of those Bobble Head Dolls I've seen before.

One more thing I forgot to mention about that plant. Dairy farmers don't like it. Cattle will sometimes consume it inadvertently when picking grass, and too much of it can give mike a rank odor.....

I Googled it and looks like it is very showy when it flowers. From what I could find it says it is edible although I don't think I want to try, said bears and wild pigs like it...I have neither. Interesting to see anyway, it does look bobble headed.
No cows around me to get into it...only deer, turkeys, bunnies and waterfowl.

Wild onion is a sign your soil is very low in calcium, and high in magnesium and manganese. Clay soils are often high in magnesium. If you're a lime user, don't use dolomitic lime as it contains magnesium.

Wild Onion (aka wild garlic)
I thought wild onion and wild garlic were 2 different species. Doesn't garlic have a hollow stem and onion have a flat, solid stem?

I thought wild onion and wild garlic were 2 different species. Doesn't garlic have a hollow stem and onion have a flat, solid stem?

Yes, that is correct. However, as you know, depending on the region, common names used by locals vary a lot. This is especially true with onion and garlic.

If you want to get specific, his plant looks like Wild Garlic (Allium vineale).

Another thing you can do to tell the difference between them is examine the underground bulbs. I would have to look that up, because I can't remember exactly the differences you look for, but as I recall it is pretty easy.

Last edited:
One more thing I forgot to mention about that plant. Dairy farmers don't like it. Cattle will sometimes consume it inadvertently when picking grass, and too much of it can give mike a rank odor.....