Flatbed trailer bridge?

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
About to start a project and wondered if anyone else had done this and could share some things learned. Anyone here build a bridge out of a re-purposed flatbed trailer and would be willing to offer some insight? Do's, don't, challenges, tips, or pointers?

Last edited:
20170527_130200.jpg

I got a donor thanks to a high semi driver. Just need to own land with aCreek. Btw, don't get hit in Michigan. No fault state so zero reimbursement

Better have a good way to move it to location! Depending on what type of trailer you're looking at they are not lightweight at all.

It's been done before and can work well, but ma nature can always get the best of you.

Had a neighbor that used a Mobile Home frame as bridge across his creek. Worked fine for ATV's. Problem was once the DNR discovered it he had to remove.

Had a neighbor that used a Mobile Home frame as bridge across his creek. Worked fine for ATV's. Problem was once the DNR discovered it he had to remove.

This would be my concern. If the DNR found out you didnt get a permit to put one up, they would make you take it down. And I am pretty sure the DNR would want a more permanent structure. But if it isnt in the watchful eyes of the local DNR, I wouldnt see why it wouldnt work.

in many states its ILLEGAL to build a bridge over flowing water, so heads up there
sounds dumb, but fines can be crazy high
we have a hunting camp that 30+ yrs ago a silly walking bridge was built over a small creek, about 5 ft wide, and the bridge we had got ruined when a tree fell on it
went to re do and the local game warden stopped us, with threats of turning us in for having it?
ask any logging company what it costs to travel over thru running water, scary costs here?

so heads up!

There is a company that makes bridges for these kind of places,I made mine out of a couple electric poles,works fine for atv and UTVs,I actually just pushed it across to other side,just had to lift a little to get on bank

in many states its ILLEGAL to build a bridge over flowing water, so heads up there sounds dumb, but fines can be crazy high

It does sound ridiculous. Let me get this straight... I can drive machinery, quads, horses, etc over the bank, and across the water, and create all kinds of erosion, but I can't cross the creek via a low impact bridge? Bureaucrats suck.

It does sound ridiculous. Let me get this straight... I can drive machinery, quads, horses, etc over the bank, and across the water, and create all kinds of erosion, but I can't cross the creek via a low impact bridge? Bureaucrats suck.
actually your NOT legally allowed to drive thru flowing water, so, NO you cannot just drive thru it, over making a bridge, or at least not in my home state of PA, and a few others I know of
that again is why I suggested logging as a reference, they pay HUGE amounts of money to gain ability to drive across even small creeks, and many times its NOT worth the trouble or costs to do so for them, leaving standing timber on the other side!

yes many folks just drive thru, but its NOT legal

I have farmer friends that have crop fields on other side of small 2+ ft deep streams and they legally can ONLY cross "X" many times a yr without needing special permits(AKA< cost money) and its ONLY due to the crop fields were there before laws were passed,

and deal here in PA< as far I I know, is any FULL time bridge(not temp bridge)
must legally be able to hold the largest firetruck in the area, or something silly like that, so a bridge can get SUPER costly to be legal here
not to mention, you have to have an engineer design it, get the designs approved by correct dept, then get permits, and have a full plan in effect at start up and finish dates

were living in a crazy time, where its all about the $$$
I am sure some can just DO IT and get away with it, but once someone files a complaint, it can get crazy!

actually your NOT legally allowed to drive thru flowing water, so, NO you cannot just drive thru it, over making a bridge, or at least not in my home state of PA, and a few others I know of
that again is why I suggested logging as a reference, they pay HUGE amounts of money to gain ability to drive across even small creeks, and many times its NOT worth the trouble or costs to do so for them, leaving standing timber on the other side!

yes many folks just drive thru, but its NOT legal

I have farmer friends that have crop fields on other side of small 2+ ft deep streams and they legally can ONLY cross "X" many times a yr without needing special permits(AKA< cost money) and its ONLY due to the crop fields were there before laws were passed,

and deal here in PA< as far I I know, is any FULL time bridge(not temp bridge)
must legally be able to hold the largest firetruck in the area, or something silly like that, so a bridge can get SUPER costly to be legal here
not to mention, you have to have an engineer design it, get the designs approved by correct dept, then get permits, and have a full plan in effect at start up and finish dates

were living in a crazy time, where its all about the $$$
I am sure some can just DO IT and get away with it, but once someone files a complaint, it can get crazy!
As I said...bureaucrats suck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So let's say a few trees fall across a river, you try pulling a trailer across the trees and gets stuck. Seems plausible......

Reactions: Tap
I know in Mn you can’t drive in wetlands, or in between normal high water points, like creek banks.

I do all kinds of sheninaigans, and just blame it on my dead grandfather.

I know in Mn you can’t drive in wetlands, or in between normal high water points, like creek banks.
I wonder if the property tax is less on those acres that the bureaucrats limit your access to? Yeah, right.