Fish structures

b116757

5 year old buck +
We don’t normally fool with pond structure in our farm ponds do to the cattle but the one I cleaned out last fall will likely not see cattle again at least for the foreseeable future so I’m thinking of adding structure. I think I’m going to build a fathead minnow breeding area out of drain pipe or pvc pipe something similar to this photo. I also have old retired barbed wire and woven wire rolls I could toss in the pond for some structure until the aquatic weeds get established. I’ve also thought of strapping some plastic pallets together and sinking the stack. I also have an old 8’ directional boring pipe real I could use. Anyone else have any cheap effective idea’s?

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpeg
    IMG_1257.jpeg
    730.5 KB · Views: 35
Plastic shipping pallets in either 4'x4' or 4'x6'. You can stack them. Usually available at plastic recyclers.

We don’t normally fool with pond structure in our farm ponds do to the cattle but the one I cleaned out last fall will likely not see cattle again at least for the foreseeable future so I’m thinking of adding structure. I think I’m going to build a fathead minnow breeding area out of drain pipe or pvc pipe something similar to this photo. I also have old retired barbed wire and woven wire rolls I could toss in the pond for some structure until the aquatic weeds get established. I’ve also thought of strapping some plastic pallets together and sinking the stack. I also have an old 8’ directional boring pipe real I could use. Anyone else have any cheap effective idea’s?
That's a good idea in that picture, I may have to copy that.
FYI, I'd never throw barbed wire in a pound. At some point, somebody is going to swim in there.

FYI, I'd never throw barbed wire in a pound. At some point, somebody is going to swim in there.
Good point barbed wire off the list

I sink trees. Cedar and hedge are my favorites. Cedar does rot away in a decade or so but hedge lasts a long time. I don't mind replacing them every once in a while.

Screenshot_20240429_182138_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240429_182126_Gallery.jpg

The 5 gal buckets with pex or pvc work about the best and nearly impossible to hang a lure on for fish attractants. Also use the metal cage from 275 gallon totes, sometimes ziptie them together like a pyramid.

I have the 5 gallon buckets in the deep areas and these in the shallow end. Very easy to make. Also, it has been scientifically proven that you have to use red and blue tubing for the most effective fish habitat. I can provide the peer reviewed science if needed.

1714448087176.png

....... H&H magnet

bill

What depth are you guys putting the structure at? I have a rebuilt pond that is slowly filling with all the rain we've been getting, and I'd like to throw some structure in.

My pond's main basin averages 10' deep, the sides are a gradual slope. I like to put vertical structure in at the transition between the slope and the 10' basin. Make it tall enough to go from bottom to top. I'm going to experiment with structure in the main part of the lake. But, we swim and jetski in the pond too so that has to be taken into account. Might go with shorter structures in the deeper part of the lake so we don't have to worry about the hassle.

I let these sink last winter, I don't how they will work but thought I would give them a try. I know snag problems but thought I would float a duck just above each at surface. I would appreciate any comments on good or bad, improvements?

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 31
All of your structures look great! I did something similar KY wild this winter with placing structure on ice for melt-out.

Screenshot_20240430_121922_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240430_121933_Gallery.jpg

Those crappies and bass are crazy.

It is very good to see that you appreciate how cool your pond/lake is and that you use it. That's some world class fishing you have right out your front door.

I think the cost to build a pond is a solid investment if you factor in the new hunting/fishing opportunities with the water combined with the increased property value. Fish ponds are a real difference maker in my opinion. Shallow duck ponds are also cool, but a fish pond is something even better.

I'm gloating, and it's rude (sorry). I'm fortunate to have this place and owe most of it to my wife and her desire to move back "home". We are here due to her wanting to continue the family ranch and give back to the community she grew up in. With that said we've taken complete advantage of the opportunities we have and appreciate it fully. I love the pond habitat work, fishing, hunting, and swimming associated with it. The fishing is world class in my opinion!

When you start handling bass with 2 hands while they're still underwater, you're doing something right.

I have some corrogated plastic pipe (8") that I want to sink, but those things are very bouyant. I have some buckets wtih a loop of garage door cable and sac crete that I can attach them to, but am not sure what cordage to attach them with. I don't want them to float later.

When you start handling bass with 2 hands while they're still underwater, you're doing something right.

I have some corrogated plastic pipe (8") that I want to sink, but those things are very bouyant. I have some buckets wtih a loop of garage door cable and sac crete that I can attach them to, but am not sure what cordage to attach them with. I don't want them to float later.

I use 9 wire (left over from my demo-derby days) on structures. I get anal about tieing things down. I hate trash floating up in a pond. That's one of the reasons I almost always use wood.

Two hands in the water gives them a chance. Otherwise it's pretty easy to dislocate a jaw (so I'm told). We keep a lot (in fact that's one of my rules for people that come over to fish; you have to keep everything. Exceptions are if you enjoyed catching it and would like to catch it again, then throw it back. Or if you'd like to mount it, then you better keep it.).

Thank you for saying that about proper fish care. One of my big pet peeves. Bass guys love to bend a damn jaw like it’s this totally elastic part. I guess it’s my trout background but unless it’s getting culled I tried to be as gentle as possible with a fish.
Don’t get me started on Jersey wearing bass guys who ride around with 5 in the livewell to post a hero shot for Instagram somehow mangling all five into two hands for the picture.