First year food plot so far a big success in my book

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
So in the thread I have with land tours that I’m slowly updating as I go I mention there that we got the first food plot since purchasing the property finally planted. The mix can be found in that post. I didn’t get pictures from the actual day that we had the tractor and rake in there but after exactly one week and a couple fairly light storms I was absolutely jacked to see this much growth already. Should be nice and thick in 2 to 3 more weeks. Step one in trying to build soil on an old logging type trail. So one week and here it is so far a mix of clovers Chiccory brassica and winter wheat. DD28D417-E5AD-4F98-B360-AAE6FD7F0883.jpeg3E7118E4-2AC5-42B3-B673-303970E83E07.jpeg972E69DF-E647-453B-98CB-3E9897AE3CBA.jpegE4C40488-71CD-4508-844B-5B56A1815DF9.jpeg0565574B-8E56-4E68-901F-D226EBA4636C.jpeg2CFB1115-C927-4469-AB2D-B8C0EC9CBA5B.jpeg43B28C32-ED39-453C-9C61-363344E30BD3.jpeg36AA02F3-588A-4DE2-AE6B-B9CFE558BE8E.jpeg

your biggest challenge looks like sun.

your biggest challenge looks like sun.
It is but I’m getting better growth in shade. I’d love to open it up more but the forestor suggested doing it a little each year as to not put up any red flags when the state comes out to check it against his submitted woodland management plan.

I think you have a great start. Pick the most shade tolerant crops (which you probably are). Success can be defined in many ways. Some guys are in ag country and want big lush plots to try to attract deer from neighbors. Others are trying to feed deer and need larger scale acreage for success. Still others in areas with little quality food looking to improve hunting can have great success with minimal plots.

Enjoy your journey!

Thanks,

Jack

That’s really what my area is. 60 acres of straight hardwoods and ridge systems. Other then natural browse which isnt much the deer have acorns. And although there are already a ton on the floor now it simply isn’t enough. I did quite a bit of hinge cutting this first year as well. So really this plot trail is going to attract damn near everything in the area that finds it. Bc there is otherwise nothing remotely close. I’m jacked bc the way I laid out the hinge Cut Bedding in relation to the food and water is exactly the way the deer are traveling it. For the first year the potential is there. I have a bachelor group with 9 different bucks in it. 17 bucks so far total that I’ve gotten on trail camera. Believe it or not what I’m not really seeing are a lot of does. So this season I’ll be hunting moreso to get a better handle on how the deer are traveling the property. And unless an out of tow we buck shows up, I won’t be taking any animals. I have one good 9 point. But he’s young. He almost split to a 10. He gets another year.

I see lots of twisted bending trees along that plot that won't ever make good timber. :emoji_wink: No sense letting them hog up the sun and nutrients from the good stock in the back.

I see lots of twisted bending trees along that plot that won't ever make good timber. :emoji_wink: No sense letting them hog up the sun and nutrients from the good stock in the back.

I already had a lot of “dead” and “storm damaged” trees soooo hahaha

I’ve got this guy and his 8 friends hanging out together. Alll times of the day. He turned out to be a 9 the other beam didn’t split in time to be a 10. Maybe next year! Or the one after!4D146695-14B8-425A-A493-3BEF7786B8DE.jpeg

A little hack n squirt on some of the "trash" trees would really help you with your sunlight issues.

A little hack n squirt on some of the "trash" trees would really help you with your sunlight issues.
I agree. I’m just trying to play nice with the forestor. He’s a hunter which is why I picked him. And he knows what I’m trying to do. He left as much gray area as possible in his plan. I plan to drop a couple trees each year to open it up. Probably take 2 more years and I should see good sun on the trail. For this first year I’m really more concerned with getting the soil on its way to optimal for the future. We basically ran when rake on the tractor to just barely loosen it up and then broadcast right on top. We had a month of solid rain leading up to the day we planted so when the rake scratched it up it was nice and moist.

It is but I’m getting better growth in shade. I’d love to open it up more but the forestor suggested doing it a little each year as to not put up any red flags when the state comes out to check it against his submitted woodland management plan.
I know the plans in Nj are good for 10 years. When yours expires, consult with your forrester and tell him you want a plan written that helps with wildlife habitat. It will allow you to cut/hingecut. I just had my new plan drawn up this year.

I know the plans in Nj are good for 10 years. When yours expires, consult with your forrester and tell him you want a plan written that helps with wildlife habitat. It will allow you to cut/hingecut. I just had my new plan drawn up this year.

It’s still in the stages where I need one more year to officially get into the program. I hingecut as is now. Cut quite a bit. I just don’t wanna overdo it all at once. Forestor has come out for the yearly checkup and said in food to go bc I got more done in 6 months then other people do in several years.

I love those food plot trails! When you don’t have any open areas to work with you do what you can. I agree About letting light in. I’ve been doing the same thing on mine and a little at a time works. It seems the clovers actually like it a little shady.

That’s really what my area is. 60 acres of straight hardwoods and ridge systems. Other then natural browse which isnt much the deer have acorns. And although there are already a ton on the floor now it simply isn’t enough. I did quite a bit of hinge cutting this first year as well. So really this plot trail is going to attract damn near everything in the area that finds it. Bc there is otherwise nothing remotely close. I’m jacked bc the way I laid out the hinge Cut Bedding in relation to the food and water is exactly the way the deer are traveling it. For the first year the potential is there. I have a bachelor group with 9 different bucks in it. 17 bucks so far total that I’ve gotten on trail camera. Believe it or not what I’m not really seeing are a lot of does. So this season I’ll be hunting moreso to get a better handle on how the deer are traveling the property. And unless an out of tow we buck shows up, I won’t be taking any animals. I have one good 9 point. But he’s young. He almost split to a 10. He gets another year.

Why not take one of the smaller bucks with minimal potential?

Why not take one of the smaller bucks with minimal potential?
I’m at the point where I’ve taken plenty of deer with bow and gun. I don’t have a desire to shoot a buck unless he’s a good mature deer anymore. Everyone has their own thought on that standard but here in NJ that equates to at least a 4 year old. And honestly I’d rather improve the habitat, let them grow, and start to build a good base of future deer. So I’ll usually take a few does each year (2-3 for myself, I donate one to HHH, and the one lease I still have the homeowner likes to have one) and then wait on the best buck for my area.

I meant for the buck-doe ratio. If you are seeing a lot of bucks and not many does, can it mean they are out of balance? I've read that too many bucks can have negative consequences due to fighting, etc.

It's almost statstically impossible to get your buck to doe ratio greater than 1:1. I'd guess you've got an area where, for some reason, the bucks like to summer, while the does are elsewhere during the summer.

We have the same issue on our wooded piece. But once the corn comes off and the beans brown, our place lights up. Totally different property. Its why I don't get too bummed when I don't see a bunch of giants in velvet. They'll be there come October and November

Im goin to reserve my overall attack plan on what animals buck or doe to take until I sit this full season. It’s a new property. Mainly I say this bc on the one lease I’ve hubted for 25 years I know that early season we never have any good deer on it. When the first week of October hits, bucks come outta the woodwork. So I may have a similar thing occurring here. I may have more does move in as the weather cools, and the pressure changes. I’m certain to have some bucks leave as well. I’ll see how it plays out. The lease is a spot where if I see a good buck early season I’m shooting bc it’s a fluke thing. And my property may be the opposite. I may have a place where early season is when I need to try and take a buck before they relocate. The young guys may be pushed out and the older deer may stay which is what I’d like. I change the property so much in the off-season year one by hinge cutting making trails and getting the first ever food plot established here. So I’m sure whatever has happened in the past will be slightly altered. Knowing the areas around mine I do expect to have more deer stay here then leave as the season progresses.